Television Evolution (1 Viewer)

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 15:02
Where do you see the evolution of the humble Television going next???

We have had Black & White, Colour, Portable TV's, Flat Screen's, Plasma, LCD, LED, HD, and now 3D...

Where do you see it going next....

Perhaps with the newly discovered Graphene we will have 3D HD Televisions produced on a roll that you simply stick to your wall with double sided tape...

Or perhaps somewhere Holographic Television is being developed and this will be the next big thing...

What's your view??

Adam Caramon

Local time
Today, 11:02
Interactive television. Might start off as something as simple as voting via a social networking site controls content on a particular channel (voting for music videos would seem to be a natural fit).

Channels that provide multiple feeds of different angles I could see being utilized for some types of programming.

The screen sizes will continue to get bigger, but I wouldn't be surprised to see TV glasses or something similar that allows you to watch all of your favorite programming where ever you are.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
We already have a new definition to contend with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_high_definition_television

4-8x High Definition top standards with a 120 refresh rate in the words.

3d has existed for years. I don't think 3d will ever really be fully adopted by the average home viewer until we develop the technology that makes in lens-less on large displays and sports programs are filmed in 3d. I'm sure we will be there one day, but until then, it's a novelty that gets old very fast.

I think we will have that before we have true holographic tv. We do have holographic games being tested by Nintendo and they are on the Holography System Development Forum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

This kind of technology is still years away. Could you imagine being Mario in your living room?

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
I remember seeing a tech show on TV (maybe early 2012, late 2011). They showed a mock up of a TRUE 3D display that would NOT require glasses. It would use a gas/smoke medium to serve as a 'screen' for a projector. The mock up suggested you would place the device in the center of a room and each viewer would see a slightly different view. As i say, it was a mock up, but i do remember some tech guy suggesting the ability was already in place, the only problem was overcoming moisture issues or smoke damage form the display medium.

On another tack, there have been a few people who have received 'bionic' eyes. The most recent recipient is able to see fairly good images. With the increasing ability of science to 'read' the mind, is it beyond the possibility that we may get TV 'beamed' direct to the brain?

Vassago

Local time
I remember seeing a tech show on TV (maybe early 2012, late 2011). They showed a mock up of a TRUE 3D display that would NOT require glasses. It would use a gas/smoke medium to serve as a 'screen' for a projector. The mock up suggested you would place the device in the center of a room and each viewer would see a slightly different view. As i say, it was a mock up, but i do remember some tech guy suggesting the ability was already in place, the only problem was overcoming moisture issues or smoke damage form the display medium.

On another tack, there have been a few people who have received 'bionic' eyes. The most recent recipient is able to see fairly good images. With the increasing ability of science to 'read' the mind, is it beyond the possibility that we may get TV 'beamed' direct to the brain?

We already have contacts in the work that are expected to run a version of Android. Who knows?

We also have 3d displays that don't require glasses. The Nintendo 3DS and HTC Evo 3D phone come to mind. There is a lot of work to be done to increase this to HDTV sizes though.

scott-atkinson

Local time
What do you think Holographic Television will look like?

I envisage, a small box situated in the middle of the room in the floor, the box switches on and an area around the box insode the room comes to life with moving pictures. Moving pictures to which you can walk around them and see them from 360 degree angles...

Do you think we will ever have this?

Do you ever envisage having something resembling what was depicted in the old cult film Brainstorm whereby you can feel what is happening with regards to images beamed into your brain....

Vassago

Local time

I envisage, a small box situated in the middle of the room in the floor, the box switches on and an area around the box insode the room comes to life with moving pictures. Moving pictures to which you can walk around them and see them from 360 degree angles...

Do you think we will ever have this?

Do you ever envisage having something resembling what was depicted in the old cult film Brainstorm whereby you can feel what is happening with regards to images beamed into your brain....

I think we definitely will. Another thing to check out is World Of Glass on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I agree that 3D will only succeed if it becomes glasses free, but other than that only a person with no imagination would rule out anything given the vast change in technology over the last decade, older guys like me would never have dreamed , as we watched our 14 inch black and white sets , that we could play games on a 40 inch plus skinny TVby waving our arms about.

Brian

Vassago

Local time
Wow, I'm impressed... is this real or just a vision of what could be capable?

It's a vision of what they would like to accomplish. Not too many people know much about the company Corning, but they do love their smartphones, especially the phones with Gorilla Glass, Corning's product. They've teamed up with Samsung to work on prototypes of a lot of this technology. I can't wait to see the stuff they come out with.

There is also a second video:

http://www.corning.com/news_center/features/adaymadeofglass_valuable_tool.aspx

Last edited:

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:02
4D

Nobody knows what it really means but that never stopped marketing strategies before.

Some

Registered User.
Local time
Tricky question really, how "real" can something seem without it acutally being infront of you.

4k tvs will be the next thing since 3-d was a flop in homes. Though alot of people bought tvs with 3-d in they didnt use it enough to go out and buy 3-d blurays etc.

Be warned though, if you are considering spending ~£1000+ on a brand new tv with 4k (which I highly recomend) wait until about a year from now. Some marketing document was leaked by a retail outlet showing the predicted price points which showed a massive drop after the first year. Will also give the services available the chance to catch up to the technology.

Edit:

Just for reference 4k tvs are classed as UHD (ultra high defintion) so-

UHD = 4k
Full HD = 1080p
HD ready = 720p

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:02
I found 3D was hopeless. What I saw looked more like flat figures at different distances than true three dimensional imaging.

Moreover the viewer has to stick with the assigned focal depth. Images at other distances are shown out of focus to simulate what you see naturally. Consequently you can't look around the scene.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I remember many years (perhaps 30) ago a system being demonstrated that had been developed by the Russians using multiple lasers. The demo was a bit of ballet. It appeared on a flat plate maybe 2 ft square in the middle of the room.

The lasers scanned at a high rate and where they intersected they created a point of light - a 3d located pixel if you like - which combined to make up the performers.

There were two problems, images could only be generated in black & white and the images created were translucent, so a long way from being a viable product for entertainment - but it was many years ago.

With the increasing ability of science to 'read' the mind, is it beyond the possibility that we may get TV 'beamed' direct to the brain?
If you want to see a possible future of bionics and many other possible applications for science, check out a SciFi author called Peter Hamilton, the science he uses is based on where current thinking might take us in the not to distant future and the next millenium.

scott-atkinson

Local time
I read that the next big thing in Television Evolution is the Ultra High Definition with a curved screen.... really...

They also mentioned that 3D television, hailed a few years ago as a revolution hasn't really caught on and has bombed a bit for the home market...

Does anybody own a 3D television, and if so is it worth it?

Can anybody see the point of a UHD Television with a curved screen, and where will that lead us?

GSSDevelopment

PHP Guru
Local time
They also mentioned that 3D television, hailed a few years ago as a revolution hasn't really caught on and has bombed a bit for the home market...
While the technology exists, I'd imagine that biology/psychology is the choke point for mass adoption, not the tech or even the price. It gives a lot of people headaches (mostly because it's tricking your brain into perceiving depth where there is none), and just like the VirtualBoy from many years ago, manufacturers of such screens recommend limiting exposure to simulated 3D imagery and warn against enabling 3d for "too long"

Can anybody see the point of a UHD Television with a curved screen, and where will that lead us?
I think they're trending toward curved displays partially as a novelty ("Hey, look at this curved screen!"), but also as a means of creating a more immersive environment for the viewer. Watching a movie on a huge flat screen is one thing, but having it appropriately scaled to a curved display with the viewer(s) sitting at the focal point makes for a more engaging experience.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
having it appropriately scaled to a curved display with the viewer(s) sitting at the focal point makes for a more engaging experience
I bagsy the seat in the middle, everyone else can see half the screen side on.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
They cost an arm and a leg And as has been pointed out only one viewer gets to see it properly, it must be aimed at single geeks.

Brian

Charl80

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:02
I'd be interested to see how a curved UHD tv actually changed the experience. The only way I can see it being better or more immersive is if it's scaled up a lot, otherwise it's just gonna be underwhelming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom