Question Multi User Database Sharing (1 Viewer)

Hek

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:02
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some insight on my current situation.
The current database which i have created will require multiple users to be working on it at once. I believe that the best way to share this would be to put it on the local server for everyone to access, but i believe that this will not update often enough for the nature of the work being done.

Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated.

Regards-
Hek

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi,

The best practice approach is to "split" the database into a front end and a back end. You then put the back end on a shared location on the network and give each user their own copy of the front end. More info can be found in this Wiki article.

Mr. SLP

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:02
will require multiple users to be working on it at once.

Hek

The first step is going to be splitting the DB to have a front end and a backend. The backend will have to be stored on a network drive that all the users have access to. That’s kinda the easy part. The harder part is the fact that each user will have to have a copy of the front end on their computer locally. If more than 1 person tries to open the same front end on a network drive you run into issues. The tricky part of this is getting each user a copy of the front end and then having them replace it as updates are rolled out. It never fails that someone will not follow a simple link to update the DB. So your options would be to update each user yourself or find an automatic front end updater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hek

Registered User.
Local time
The impression which im getting is that a local network may not be a very good platform to share the database, any suggestions as to a better alternative?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The impression which im getting is that a local network may not be a very good platform to share the database, any suggestions as to a better alternative?
Actually, a local network (LAN) is the "best" platform for an Access database solution. If you heard different, then we'd like to know the source. Access was not built for WANs, but some people have success with it. It's also not advisable for Wireless LANs, yet again, some people managed with it for a while. Now, people are using the "cloud" with Access. There are different approaches, but not everything is the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom