Guilty or Not Guilty? The George Floyd trial... (2 Viewers)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 08:36
Thanks for the heads up, I turned the news on. Awfully quick ... if I were Chauvin I'd be worried.
Not even jury questions! Dang

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:36
i think they did have questions but they were about the instrructions and done via zoom.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
i think they did have questions but they were about the instrructions and done via zoom.
Oh - okay, I heard somewhere there were none. But you may be right as I have no real knowledge.

Well, the national guard has 32 minutes to get ready and counting. I have a feeling this verdict will not provide much excuse for unrest, though.
I'm going with manslaughter as a guess.
Although thinking about it more, perhaps some Americans have over-estimated the difficulty it would take to arrive at unanimity on the Murder charge, given the fact that it's not premeditated murder, only felony murder, which only requires them to basically agree he was intentionally committing felony assault.... Perhaps the ease of finding unanimity on those 2 charges is actually fairly similar.

This reminds me of a criminal law final exam, having to do with a person who discharged a weapon straight up into the air inside the city limits (a felony, generally speaking, in the exam prompt), and the bullet fell down and killed someone. I honestly can't remember what my answer was - and there were a few more nuances provided in the prompt as well which I forgot. Actually I think the death was caused by something other than a falling bullet. It was a fascinating exam!

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:36
That is very quick. I wonder if that doesn't bode well for Chauvin.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
If they have a verdict, I suspect that is guilty. The only other option I would have thought likely is a hung jury, which I presume is not called a verdict, although I don't know.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
If they have a verdict, I suspect that is guilty. The only other option I would have thought likely is a hung jury, which I presume is not called a verdict, although I don't know.
It wouldn't...we'd be hearing from a back-and-forth process where the jury would say they were hung, and the judge would tell them to go back and try longer, etc. Or something along those lines. No way Cahill would allow 24-48 hours to be considered hung.

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I remember reading a book about wisdom where it said "beware of perverse incentives." In this case, the incentive to find guilty is intense. Suffer for the rest of your life, potentially injured or killed, or throw the cop under the bus and justify it by saying you are saving lives (from riots).

If found guilty, I do not believe it will be the end of the riots. It is just the beginning. They will go case by case until there is no unbiased justice left. Just mob rule.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I am shocked the verdict has come so soon though. Is anyone else?

I thought they would be at it for weeks. How long did the OJ jury deliberate for?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
America has a lot of problems that we should try to work together to solve. But I find that prospect to be a dim one, given that so many people are coming at the issues from a place other than the actual truth. What actually is, or is not, happening, and what the causes are.

This is why the book Taboo, by Wilfred Reilly, is so important. Every American should be forced to stop and read it prior to continuing. Then we would know we were approaching the table from a position of truth and knowledge.

Now: If 100% of the country were being effectively deceived by the liberal narrative, there would, presumably, be more peace. The place conflict springs from is that approximately half the country (give or take), knows that it is not true, and is unwilling to pretend that it is.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I don't think most people operate based on truth, but instead based on power and self interest. Justice involves what is good for the person making the decision.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Guilty on all counts. I'm shocked!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
3 punch count!

@moke123 do you think these jurors were a bit terrified of doing differently? I'm curious. Regardless of what anyone thinks about what ought to happen.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I hope everyone will stop taking the knee everywhere now!

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
3 punch count!

@moke123 do you think these jurors were a bit terrified of doing differently? I'm curious. Regardless of what anyone thinks about what ought to happen.
I wouldn't doubt that they were questioned about fears during voir dire

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm disappointed and surprised. Maxine made sure they all knew the consequences of following the facts. I thought perhaps they'd split the baby and hope that would satisfy the mob. The appeal should revolve around jury tampering because that is absolutely what happened..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom