BE access database 2016 corruption (1 Viewer)

idxyz

Local time
Today, 03:48
Hi,
We have multiple users access a remote BE database through a local link. The BE database once in a while gets corrupted and can not figure out why?. any way to prevent or find out the reason easily?. I do not think think that writing to the same records is the problem. I know that is not possible. Different uses can write to different tables and records, or update them. I not think that update or write to the same record is possible. The BE and the FE's all are the .mdb files.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
There was a bug that caused the BE file to get corrupted, but I thought it only affected accdb files. In any case, applying the fix for it might help with your situation as well. All you had to do was update the registry. Try to search for "disable leasing."

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 18:48
ms access as remote BE is not advisable.
the msa BE cannot be shared on dropbox/onedrive, etc.
each users must be working on his own FE on his local computer.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:48
We have multiple users access a remote BE database through a local link.

Please clarify this configuration. "Remote" is OK if and ONLY if it is hard-wired end-to-end.

As Arnel points out, everyone must have a private (separate) copy of the FE file.

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
I don't know if this would be of any help in your problem but a few years ago I had this same thing occur when we changed our server. Look at this thread.:

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/back-end-crashing.313145/#post-1713662

There may be some hints in it that you may find useful. It really took our tech consultant to change settings on the server to solve the problem.

Since I was working remotely and the people at the office were having the problems, I had to set up a written procedure for them on how to back up the corrupted back end, then compact and repair it which fortunately always worked so that I would not have to do it remotely through LogMeIn. And I most important that I had set up a procedure where the back end was backed up every morning when the first person logged on to the DB. Never lost more than a few hours of work.

idxyz

Local time
FEs are in local PCs per user. BE is on remote server all in the same building.

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
FEs are in local PCs per user. BE is on remote server all in the same building.
That is the same setup as ours when we had the problem. I only update the DB front end via remote log in. $.10 says it is your server settings.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Who all regularly opens the back end directly, anyone other than you? And for what purpose and when?
You also might check to see if the file server where the BE is, is undergoing any type of Backup processes that might be messing it up

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:48
A while ago there was a problem that was caused by conflicts when the user's were running using different versions of windows. Does everyone have Win 10?

idxyz

Local time
yes, all are using windows 10. I decided to get rid of the Map drive in the link manager of all the FE's. All FEs now use the actual link , no use of map drive to access the BE. I thought usage of map drive letter might be a possible cause. FE's link manager now pointing directly to where the BE is, no usage of map driver letter in the link. Secondly, if it is the server problem, what on the server side could possibly cause this?. Intermittent network drop which I doubt...?

Last edited:

Jbooker

Local time
UNC paths are better than Mapped drives and if your workstations are Win 10 v1803+ check 'disable leasing' as suggested as there is a known issue with server-side fix required.
For some reason I can't post links on here but theres an article on support.microsoft.com titled

Access reports that databases are in an 'inconsistent state'​

The fix is server side reg edit:

Code:
 REG ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters /v DisableLeasing /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

NET STOP SERVER

NET START SERVER

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:48
are any of your users running the app using a WiFi connection to the network?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Regarding removal of all drive-letter mapping:

If you look at the way drive letters are actually implemented, they are like symbols (that end with colons) and contain a "translation" that for some strange reason looks EXACTLY like the front part of a UNC path. It's almost like Windows just concatenated the drive letter's translation to whatever you tacked on after the colon. Nothing more than that, as far as I can tell. Works just like the old MS-DOS "SUBST" command.

I doubt that using or not using drive letters (vs. UNC paths) would make a difference regarding probability of corruption. There is nothing complex hidden behind the drive-letter concept.

Jbooker

Local time
I doubt that using or not using drive letters (vs. UNC paths) would make a difference regarding probability of corruption. There is nothing complex hidden behind the drive-letter concept.

Except when the drive maps don't exist on some random workstation which always happens. Just one more layer to manage. UNC paths and done.

That is if you link over LAN at all. 5+ users critical app - always use rdp. Now paths are local - never a network issue.

idxyz

Local time
BE DB is on a NAS with a special OS other than Windows or Linux. Anything can be done on the client Win10 side?. It is most likely caused by one win 10 PC. When logged in it, doing work , happens. Needs more troubleshooting. Not easy but need so.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The question is specifically whether the special O/S supports SMB protocol (sometimes called "Samba" by some vendors). If it does not, get off of that NAS immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom