Curved Monitor (1 Viewer)

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:57
So I am finally going to upgrade my monitors to a single curved one, well providing no issues detected. (Getting tired of dual screens.) I am hoping someone here is using one for development. Any gotcha’s as it relates to Access I need to be aware of? (I just seem to remember something when they first came out about pop-up placement not always cooperating and trying to recall was it *operator error* or not.) And yes, I use code to position certain forms and\or pop-ups.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:57
I'm not sure if things have improved in the last 18 months, but I gave up with running a 28" 4K screen (as a main monitor) with Access, as the resolution meant things became very difficult to work with. (Grabbing edges of controls, or property boxes becomes a good game!)

I would be surprised if a large (32"+) widescreen would be any better?

It was handy for working with forms designed to fill "normal" sized monitors though - you can have the nav window and properties windows all on display without having to scroll the form design window around.

I'd definitely see if you can try before you buy?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I would be surprised if a large (32"+) widescreen would be any better?
Depends. Being the proverbial non-answer. I have a 32" 4K monitor. Works really great with video content, but then that is really a side concern. An issue that I have, is that not all software today is adaptable to that resolution, but then I am also using Linux. Maybe MS Windows software is more adaptable.

An additional consideration relevant to @GinaWhipp. Developing "webpages" on a 4K monitor will not necessarily look the same when accessed by a lower resolution monitor. I am using PHP/HTML/Firefox/MariaDB for development instead of MS Access. The 4K monitor does allow me to have several program files open simultaneously in a more readable manner.

Last edited:

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
@Minty WELL, not what I wanted to hear but so be it. I do have the chance to try before I buy, so definitely doing that.

@Steve R. Thanks for that tidbit about web pages, I had not even considered that part. I do know other than Access the balance of Office runs fine. That said, not like Office is the only thing I use.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:57
Just be aware that depending on your screen resolution settings, you might be severly limited in an unexpected way. Access specifications for forms/reports include a max width of 22.75 inches, which if you work that out in twips (1440 per inch) is 32760. The same limit applies to section height. And if you recognize that 32767 is the maximum positive WORD integer, suddenly you know something about how forms are actually laid out. If your screen is big enough that you can set it for really fine-grain resolution, you would then be unable to fill the screen with a form.

Since you can stack sections, you would be able to have a really big screen vertically filled - but the width would be a lost cause. Unless you have a rotating screen so that you can make it taller and narrower by rotating 90 degrees. I've seen a couple of those but never actually played with one.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
@The_Doc_Man While I rarely do max screen width because I never arrived at a location and everyone using the database has the same monitor size this is GREAT information I had not even considered.

As for rotating screens, on a curved monitor I would not even consider that as an option.

Truly looks like my treat of a curved monitor is for my one game I want to play only. I'm going to need a bigger desk. :rolleyes:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I currently have three identical x 24" HDMI resolution flat screens, they are mounted on a proper adjustable triple mount to ensure height and distance are as consistent as possible. (They need to work with my dodgy eyes and therefore glasses...)

By getting them on the mount it free's up a lot of desk space to be honest.

Reactions: Jon

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
I currently have three identical x 24" HDMI resolution flat screens, they are mounted on a proper adjustable triple mount to ensure height and distance are as consistent as possible. (They need to work with my dodgy eyes and therefore glasses...)

By getting them on the mount it free's up a lot of desk space to be honest.
Not sure how that work with a curved monitor but going to have a chat with my son-in-law about that because I also dock a laptop which has it's own monitor set-up. I don't do hardware. 🙃

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Mine is all connected to a laptop (which is kept closed) via a dedicated dock at home.
I have a replica set up at the office desk. I literally click - undock the laptop, and head to the office. Click the laptop into the dock and Bob is my uncle.

I use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, again replicated at work, so I don't even take them with me.
I even have a Bluetooth headset so that doesn't need cables or plugging in or out.
No messing around with USB dongles or anything else.
I like a simple life. :cool:

If my desk wasn't so messy right now I would take a photo :eek:

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
@Minty Your desk can't look any worse than mine but I respect your decision because I am not showing mine either. ;)

I have the laptop *on it's own*, never did tie it into anything because I don't use it for development, I use that for audits. No worries about *going into work* because it's my home office and only need the laptop when going on-site.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I use 3 monitors, the one to the left set in portrait mode and all wrapped in a slight curve. I also have another set flattish on the desk when required which I use for testing touchscreen application development. I looked at curved monitors but decided I liked purposing my monitors - one for vba, one for the app and one for reference materials

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I like the look of this monitor, although it is an indulgence:

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
I have just tested on a monitor:

Resolution: 3440 x 1440
Refresh Rate: 120Hz or higher
Response Time: 1ms or lower

and saw no issues with grabbing edges, moving controls around. I did see the Forms tagged to be centered where slightly off but not a game changer. I can use my laptop to test *appearance* so not a big deal there. Thanks @Minty for the *try before you buy* suggestion! I am wondering if the problem you had grabbing edges is due to the monitors Response Time which I was told by my son-in-law needs to be low or you get this lag when trying to anything.

@CJ_London that is becoming my problem. I am trying to make my desk look a little less clutter (I know, good luck with that) and figured going to one monitor is a good start as I can plug my laptop into as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom