This should be interesting (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 09:42
Long story short, since the "company" I am in a contract with has vast resources and DEEP pockets (DLA Aviation), they have managed to arrange a Teams meeting with 2 MS engineers who are going to review our Access App and show our dev team (me and 2 others) how Power App can replace it.

I will see if I can record the meeting and post it here is anyone is interested.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:42
I haven't used Power Apps, so it would be interesting to see. Not sure anything can be as RAD as Access though.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I haven't used Power Apps, so it would be interesting to see. Not sure anything can be as RAD as Access though.
Completely agree. By their own admission, Power App is not a good alternative in some (I'd daresay most) Access applications.

Me and the other two have agreed to give MS as much rope as they need to hang themselves and to appear eager to replace Access.

Again, this should be good...

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:42
I'd be very interested, as I have a client who could be a possible Power App target, I'm still wary of the running costs though, unless I've misunderstood the pricing model. (Which is highly likely...)

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
I got excited about Power App's for all of a hot second then came the cost and what it couldn't do that Access could do but that was back when it first came out. Be interested to see if it *grew up*.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 06:42
I would be very interested! The fact that it runs in a browser and transcends all of the difficulties I have in my current environment with vpn, wi-fi, users on different lan's, etc... Is huge! I just need a good use case to really try my first power app for reals.

Your recording would be like gold!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I would be very interested! The fact that it runs in a browser and transcends all of the difficulties I have in my current environment with vpn, wi-fi, users on different lan's, etc... Is huge! I just need a good use case to really try my first power app for reals.

Your recording would be like gold!
Its being hosted by the MS Team so it will be their call. Hopefully they will allow it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:42
Now THERE is an image I could have done without. But are you an ACTIVE Hulk or a PASSIVE Hulk? The difference? The active Hulk smashes things. The passive Hulk goes out and gets smashed.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today was the meet and greet. Team players identified and such. We are to give them a copy of the app and any documentation and they are going to back-engineer it. We shall see what they come up with.

So far it has been a huge time-suck!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Some really interesting edits during the chorus.

But then again, I can make no better claim regarding my appearance when less than modestly attired.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
So as a reference, the attached db is what the MS Power Apps team will try to emulate. It has been scaled down and sanitized of all FOUO/CUI content. Be kind, the db is not mine although I did make some minor changes at the request of the developer. He did this on his own and makes maximum use of the GUI/Macros. Quite an achievement even if it flies in the face of the best-practice techniques that I have learned on this forum.

To the best of my knowledge, he is not a member here but I have told him AWF many times. He may pop in here in the future so please bear that in mind.

To his credit, he welcomes any suggestions and although he is rightfully proud of what he has achieved (over 80 users have benefitted from his efforts), he is not a rabid defender/gatekeeper.

We all meet again on July 6th for a "proof of concept" meeting and they have agreed to allow us to record the Teams meeting. Not sure how big it will be, Jon may have to make a one-time exception or I could maybe put it on Google One-Drive and allow folks to access it on an as-needed basis.

Attachments

• WMT_ALL_PR_Sample (1).zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 390

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Biggest problems I see are that there no relationships and code is not in the correct events. For example, validation code belongs in the form's BeforeUpdate, Option Explicit is missing from module header, Not all controls have real names. Also if you set a text field to required, you really ought to set AllowZeroLengthStrings to NO. Otherwise, you'll end up with "blanks" in the text columns.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Oh, that HAD to happen and you know it. When there is that much money potentially on the table as a single contract, you just KNOW there will be bid protests and an eventual re-compete. John, you've seen the government's way of doing business. It INVITES controversy over contracts at every level for any topic.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
you've seen the government's way of doing business.
Now there is a contradiction in terms!

The whole premise of this thread and others I have recently been participating in stemmed from this contract. I don't know whether to be excited of dismayed...

The current contract I am on is not affected and the threat of cloud migration allowed me to prove my worth to the project, even if we are allowed to reset to the status quo. At least I am not bored....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom