How Share MS Access Database to Multi Users to enter data from different location (1 Viewer)

postingart

Local time
Today, 17:11
please any one explain or have video to share ms access database to multi user to enter data from different locations . The back end needs to be placed in the network share drive and the front end on each users desktop. The front ends will communicate with the back end. how is possible if u have any idea to share ms access file to client user please explain

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 20:11
Split your db .
snap.png
p
put the BE (backend) to a shared folder.
Relink the FE to the BE.
create a copy of the FE and give the copy to each user.

postingart

Local time
Split your db .
View attachment 92675 p
put the BE (backend) to a shared folder.
Relink the FE to the BE.
create a copy of the FE and give the copy to each user.
dear , please explain where i share this back-end database file, which cloud service i use i want , user can enter data from any where . so onedirve is better to save database or not.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:11
Hi
If you read the article in the link I supplied it will all be explained to you.

arnelgp

Local time
dear , please explain where i share this back-end database file, which cloud service i use i want , user can enter data from any where . so onedirve is better to save database or not
you can't use onedrive or dropbox or any sharing site.

arnelgp

Local time
you can only "share" the db using local network (or use citrix and the like).
so you create a "share" folder and put the BE there.
make sure Everyone has read, write, create, delete Rights on the folder.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
O/P has now posted exactly the same post in the Sharepoint sub forum of that site, so might be a Sharepoint question?

postingart

Local time
you can only "share" the db using local network (or use citrix and the like).
so you create a "share" folder and put the BE there.
make sure Everyone has read, write, create, delete Rights on the folder.
dear i not want to share local network , i want to share all over internet , user can use this any where in world.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
dear i not want to share local network , i want to share all over internet , user can use this any where in world.
Try reading the posts in Similar threads at the bottom of this thread?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:11
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

You might consider looking elsewhere since options for using Access over the Internet is very limited.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:11
You are asking a product designed for small businesses to become a global product. It was not designed that way and does not have support for that level of sharing. The only way this MIGHT work is to connect to a central machine that will act as a server. Use a product like Citrix to establish a remote desktop connection to it. IF you decide that is the way to go then check here for articles with keyword CITRIX.

Connecting over any system like OneDrive or DropBox or other things like that will FAIL because those cloud storage devices do not support the protocols used by Access. At the VERY least, attempting such sharing will corrupt the back end file quickly. At worst, the corruption will be irreversible.

Sorry to be the bearer of news you didn't want to hear, but what you want to do isn't the way Access normally works.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:11
As the others have mentioned, this is NOT how Access works. Although you can link to an Azure database in the cloud, responsiveness will almost certainly be too slow to be usable. That leaves three options.
1. SharePoint BE - lots of downsides. Not recommended
2. Citrix
3. Remote Desktop

Both 2 and 3 can support worldwide users. You can host them yourself or you can use a third party.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Agree Citrix or terminal server , both use Remote Desktop to connect. Google to find hosts and make sure you explain to them where your users will be for the most part.

Reason is that connection speeds will vary for different regions. So a user in India could have a slow connection if the server is in the USA.

some hosts will have linked servers all over the world which can overcome this problem

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:11
CJ, just a thought...

True, hosts may have linked servers around the world, but for a single BE file, would that help very much? I would think you would have to point to the same server (the one hosting the BE file) no matter how many servers were linked. Unlike the servers that mirror each other for an anti-virus signature file download, where all of the servers hosted the same files, a single BE file that gets updated - and has to share that updated data.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
it may be, my thinking was the network routing would be via the host network which I would expect to be superior to ‘ordinary’ internet

TonyE

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:11
Look at FMS Inc website.... They have detail of how you can use remote connection to a server or cloud based backend DB. Not a simple config, but haven't tried it myself as I use Citrix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom