Newbie developing database for live use! (1 Viewer)

Local time
Today, 13:29
Hi all, I'm new to Access and have managed to rope myself into designing a database for live use for one of my work units. I have an intermediate knowledge of Excel and am definitely learning Access at a rate of knots through YouTube tutorials, AW and SO forums, and a lot of trial and error!

I live in Queensland and love dogs, sci-fi/fantasy novels, and world/empire building games.

Thankyou all already for the help you have provided, and looking forward to learning more from you all!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Welcome to the forums! We are the most active Microsoft Access community on the internet by far, with posts going back over 20 years!

To get started, I highly recommend you read the post below. It contains important information for all new users to this forum.

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We look forward to having you around here, learning stuff and having fun!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 09:29
Hello and welcome to AWF!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:29
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 06:29
That's a painful sounding username, welcome! :)

HillTJ

To train a dog, first know more than the dog..
Local time
Today, 02:29
@HeadAgainstABrickWall2021 ,g'day. I live in queensland too. I've been with the forum for a few years & have obtained excellet support from forum members of which i'm eternally grateful. I use all the sources mentioned in previous posts as well as a few textbooks & google. Access is not easy to learn, but the sense of achievement is rewarding to me. Welcome.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I have an intermediate knowledge of Excel and am definitely learning Access at a rate of knots

Hi, and welcome!

The main problem for people moving from Excel to Access is you need to make a fundamental shift in how you think about your data.

I've written a Blog to help people transfer their Excel type data to MS Access data, along with comprehensive explanations of why and how. It's on my website here:-

Excel in Access

HillTJ

To train a dog, first know more than the dog..
Local time
Today, 02:29
@Uncle Gizmo , totally agree & from experience, also don't get hijacked by "excelcentric" assistants. I had huge difficulty in convincing my boss that it was bad practice to retain the 'result' of a calculation. To this day he disgrees. He left, i did a rewrite for diferent reasons & took the oportunity to delete his silliness. I estimate 200hrs of work & a significantly more compact database. I'm at peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom