A bad day with Access, is it only me? (1 Viewer)

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:50
despite that Access seems to be "pinging" Outlook a lot on its own
I suspect that this is a mis-diagnosis based on coincidence/circumstantial evidence.

Access doesn't 'ping' Outlook unless you tell it to. (Or have some code that you have copy/pasted that is doing it.)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:50
I may have found one cause. After working in Access I tried to go to Outlook, it was hung with an hour glass.
Then I went back to Access, and it was hung too, and I see this...
View attachment 102204

What is Access trying to do to Outlook that hangs them both?

Well, the first thing I would do is to 'click to see settings' ... to see which settings it wants to show you, because that could be a clue as to what area of security - system, file, or Office - is blocking you.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:50
I think we're seeing a pattern here.

twgonder

Local time
I suspect that this is a mis-diagnosis based on coincidence/circumstantial evidence.

Access doesn't 'ping' Outlook unless you tell it to. (Or have some code that you have copy/pasted that is doing it.)
I used "ping" in a general way. It's quite clear from the Microsoft Security system that the culprit is Access, see what's in post #16.
I have never found much useful information in those messages, compounded by the fact that Windows doesn't allow one to copy the text or take a snapshot of the page with the new snip tool.

Access does communicate with Outlook, you can see that in the External Data>Saved Exports command button at the bottom of the window. The first time I tested that button was two days ago, after this problem started occurring several weeks ago.

For the CLSID (6CED0DAA-4CDE-49C9-BA3A-AE163DC3D7AF) (I hope I typed that right, see wouldn't be nice if they allowed copy?)

Researching that wasn't much help as my system has passed a MICROSOFT virus scan.

The coincidence is strange as there have been more than thirty errors logged since May 13, 2022 when I started using Access again, and they all point to Access, several of them in the night when I wasn't at the keyboard, hence I couldn't have initiated anything while the system sat at the desktop. I've been working in about a dozen different .accdb, so there isn't any indication that it's one that has any rogue code, because I distinctly remember Access crashing in a newly built .accdb with only the default table1 having been created by default.

twgonder

Local time
Well, the first thing I would do is to 'click to see settings' ... to see which settings it wants to show you, because that could be a clue as to what area of security - system, file, or Office - is blocking you.
That's odd, the first thing I did was click on the message. We must have telepathic abilities!
I dug through the links, it arrives at a window about a Microsoft Security Certificate. Surely Microsoft knows how to do a certificate for their own products. Again I can't copy, or seem to get back to that page, as the message has scrolled of and the original page is buried somewhere in the settings, and I have no idea where.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When I used to get that kind of message, it was usually because my target address's security cert had expired or did not have a trusted root issuer. But then, I was working for the U.S. Navy at the time, and some form of paranoia was commonplace. Probably something they dumped into the coffee mess in the break room. (But I'm not paranoid about it...)

When the problem is a security cert, it has to be in a specific place and have a valid root issuer. Further, it has to have been properly registered into the appropriate registry hive. The cert cannot appear in the Certificate Revocation List (CRL) and cannot have expired. That's just common security pickiness, not augmented by the Navy. I doubt even M$ can screw up creating a cert because everybody uses the same script, more or less, only adjusted for the platform O/S. But it is trivially easy to screw up installation and registration thereof.

twgonder

Local time
When I used to get that kind of message, it was usually because my target address's security cert had expired or did not have a trusted root issuer. But then, I was working for the U.S. Navy at the time, and some form of paranoia was commonplace. Probably something they dumped into the coffee mess in the break room. (But I'm not paranoid about it...)
Still, the big question, why is Access trying to get ahold of something in Outlook without my "consent" or prompting?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I doubt it is, I think it's pure coincidence.

A security warning from Access (trusted Location or similar?) may have hung something that Outlook relies on, but it doesn't do anything with Outlook unless you tell it to.

You can install Access stand-alone without Outlook even being on the machine, there is no direct or even indirect connection that I'm aware of, unless you were trying to use SendObject, when it might have tried to see what your default email client was, and then use it?

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Access does communicate with Outlook, you can see that in the External Data>Saved Exports command button at the bottom of the window.
What button? What window? What do you see in the window?

Remember, we can't see your screen!

twgonder

Local time

Nor does Windows allow me to make a snip of it for you. But the drill down starts with what I showed in post #16

twgonder

Local time
I doubt it is, I think it's pure coincidence.

A security warning from Access (trusted Location or similar?) may have hung something that Outlook relies on, but it doesn't do anything with Outlook unless you tell it to.

You can install Access stand-alone without Outlook even being on the machine, there is no direct or even indirect connection that I'm aware of, unless you were trying to use SendObject, when it might have tried to see what your default email client was, and then use it?
Wow, thirty plus coincidences, when Access is open but for many of those coincidences, I'm asleep (and not on the keyboard, although that does happen recently). Yet none of these coincidences were there for the three months I had this new laptop and only used Outlook and not Access.

twgonder

Local time

If you were asking about the Outlook button in Access and not in the security error message, then it's this one (which I presume everyone has on the path I provided--but maybe it's new in Access 2021):

1659723644504.png

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Still, the big question, why is Access trying to get ahold of something in Outlook without my "consent" or prompting?

Fair question. From your discussion, Access was loaded AFTER Outlook was loaded, not at the same time. That means all of the libraries Access needs for other apps should already be present. Just for snorts & giggles, check VBA Windows >> Tools >> References to verify that there are no broken or missing library references. Verify that the Access and Outlook reference major versions on the libraries are the same number (probably 12 or greater). If you have the kits or downloads required for it, do an OFFICE REPAIR that would allow you to repair the installation.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:50
I don't think @cheekybuddha was asking how to connect to Outlook:) I think he was asking about YOUR connection since the only way you are getting messages from Outlook is if Access is trying to use it for something.

twgonder

Local time
Fair question. From your discussion, Access was loaded AFTER Outlook was loaded, not at the same time. That means all of the libraries Access needs for other apps should already be present. Just for snorts & giggles, check VBA Windows >> Tools >> References to verify that there are no broken or missing library references. Verify that the Access and Outlook reference major versions on the libraries are the same number (probably 12 or greater). If you have the kits or downloads required for it, do an OFFICE REPAIR that would allow you to repair the installation.
Actually, I installed Office Pro all at once. But, as I stated earlier, the original HP Windows had Office stuff partially installed, probably for 365.
The problem didn't start happening until I started Access, and since then it's a steady stream of "unauthorized changes blocked" security messages and occasional hangs for Access and Outlook. The latest today at 4:51 pm when I wasn't at the computer.

I'm not sure what I should be looking at in the References. The first four check boxes are checked, the rest look okay from what I can tell.

I've maye had two Outlook hangs in the last year before using Access, on this and another laptop. I've had maybe three in the past two weeks. Most of the hangs have been in Access, but I've stopped editing code while in the form view, as advised here, that may help.

twgonder

Local time
So have you ever clicked that button and created an Outlook Task?
Yes, to see what would happen. Three days ago. The problem of hangs started about two months ago when I first started using Access on this newish laptop.

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:50
Have you considered a clean re-install of all Office products?
Everybody is telling you Access doesn't do that sort of things and if you see something weird is going on, apparently there's something wrong with your install or setup.
There's an app on MS support site for this purpose.

If it was me, I would do a recovery of Windows from an image. It would take only 20 minutes and I would be on my feet again, clean and fresh.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Actually, I installed Office Pro all at once. But, as I stated earlier, the original HP Windows had Office stuff partially installed, probably for 365.
The problem didn't start happening until I started Access, and since then it's a steady stream of "unauthorized changes blocked" security messages and occasional hangs for Access and Outlook.

This makes me wonder if you have a consistent installation. More precisely, at that moment that you installed Office Pro, was your PRIOR installation properly removed? We have in the past seen "remnant" issues where a prior installation had some leftovers to dodge and trip around. This might sound crazy, but look at KitaYama's suggestion of doing a fresh install or recovery of Windows. In the worst-case scenario, you would need to re-image the Windows on your system, then on that refreshed image that has never seen Office, do a "virgin" installation, being sure to install with uniform "bitness" (32-bit recommended). Replace your data and move forward from there.

Otherwise, the only other way I could see to do this will sound even crazier, but ... remove Office Pro entirely. Install 365 of whatever bitness was installed before. Now REMOVE 365 completely. Finally, reinstall Office Pro of the desired bitness. This is intended to use the deinstallation code to remove any remnants so that you have nothing left over from O365 OR Office Pro. It is that, or re-image Windows, which means backing up all of your data and reinstalling everything ELSE that you had on your system.

While you are at it, verify that when you do the installation, that you do the final installation including Access and Outlook with uniform bitness.

As to what you should have seen in the Tools >> References jaunt, there is a section under the "list" portion of the little pop-up references form that would include messages such as "Missing" or "Broken" for a reference that had become somehow "out of sorts" - and if you found one of those, you would know to uncheck and then separately assert the desired reference... if you could do so. But you said they looked OK so there went that idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom