Why are Americans so stupid? (2 Viewers)

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 05:35
Oh, pip pip!

Surely you very well know that all Brits absolutely must unequovically exercise their famous restrain at all times!

Duty, dear, always the duty first!

God save the Queen!

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:35
Save the queeN from what?

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Trust me, in no danger there.
Don't want one of those.

Our gubmint wastes enough money without having royalty also.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 14:35
Time to paint your butt white and run with the antelope ;)
and you can put your boots in the oven, but that doesn't make them biscuits :)

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 13:35
caus wes not got no queen.
Language alert!: queen can be used as a slang term for people that i believe americans call faggots. So I very much doubt that the USA has no queens:D

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
So I very much doubt that the USA has no queens

Cagney or Lacey lived amidst Queens in America if I remember rightly?

So yes I think you are right.

chergh

blah
Local time
Anyway the real reason that Americans are so stupid is because they are descended from us Brits. To see Brit stupidity at its finest take a look here

chergh

blah
Local time
Actually I reckon that a fair few members of this fine establishment must be regular contributors to the BBC's "Have your Say"

Banana

Local time
Language alert!: queen can be used as a slang term for people that i believe americans call faggots. So I very much doubt that the USA has no queens:D

Are we really talking about 'queens', not 'queers'?

Banana

Local time
Looks like we're equally doing well in our task of mangling the English language, then! :D

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Looks like we're equally doing well in our task of mangling the English language, then! :D
I have always thought that a language is constantly changing and having many words allows subtle distintions in meaning to be made.

BTW How nice it is to see my american friends showing the abilty to laugh at themselves in an ironic way:)

Banana

Local time
I have always thought that a language is constantly changing and having many words allows subtle distintions in meaning to be made.

In that case, I better alert my English teacher to that fact.

Erm, on second thought, I better not.

Knowing her, she'd whack me upside down and beat me for saying 'ain't' (never mind that it's now in the dictionary) and whatnots! :eek:

:p ;)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
FWIW, "queen" has multiple meanings, many of which are unkind, a few of which are OK.

For instance, Queen Elizabeth - Queen as in "female monarch" (Monarchess? Not up on those particulare endings.) Queen Noor - before the fall of Persia. Queen Isabella of Spain, who funded Chris Columbus. Women of great respect, sometimes very powerful, always in the news.

Queens, NY - a part of New York City

Queen - a musical group noted for some interesting music that is now part of the USA culture. I.e. "We Will Rock You" - used in USA sporting events for the crowd to cheer on their team and taunt the other team. Or a segment of head-bobbing in the movie "Wayne's World." Or the incredibly cushy job of making music for the move "Flash Gordon" (modern remake) with ... how shall I say it? An interesting take on the old Alex Raymond comic strips.

queen - a flamboyant homosexual. For example, those of you who have seen the movie "The Bird Cage" with Robin Williams and Nathan Lane - excuse the slang here but both of their characters are "queer" - only Nathan Lane's character is a queen. So that is the difference between "queer" and "queen."

"drama queen" - a person (not always female) given to letting/causing issues to become extremely overblown so as to become either the center of attention or to force an issue to a desired goal just as a way to shut that person up!

Also, my dear wife is a queen - because that is the name given to the woman who leads the local chapter of the Red Hat Society. In any OTHER social club, that person would be the president - but the Red Hat Society, being originally from the UK, doesn't elect presidents. They choose queens. What can I say? Fortunately, I don't have to genuflect or bow when she passes. My knees are too old for that foolishness.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Also:
the only fertile female in a colony of social insects such as bees and ants and termites; its function is to lay eggs.

something personified as a woman who is considered the best or most important of her kind; "Paris is the queen of cities"; "the queen of ocean liners".

(chess) the most powerful piece

an especially large mole rat and the only member of a colony of naked mole rats to bear offspring which are sired by only a few males

R

Rich

FWIW, "queen" has multiple meanings, many of which are unkind, a few of which are OK.

For instance, Queen Elizabeth - Queen as in "female monarch" (Monarchess? Not up on those particulare endings.) Queen Noor - before the fall of Persia. Queen Isabella of Spain, who funded Chris Columbus. Women of great respect, sometimes very powerful, always in the news.

Queens, NY - a part of New York City

Queen - a musical group noted for some interesting music that is now part of the USA culture. I.e. "We Will Rock You" - used in USA sporting events for the crowd to cheer on their team and taunt the other team. Or a segment of head-bobbing in the movie "Wayne's World." Or the incredibly cushy job of making music for the move "Flash Gordon" (modern remake) with ... how shall I say it? An interesting take on the old Alex Raymond comic strips.

queen - a flamboyant homosexual. For example, those of you who have seen the movie "The Bird Cage" with Robin Williams and Nathan Lane - excuse the slang here but both of their characters are "queer" - only Nathan Lane's character is a queen. So that is the difference between "queer" and "queen."

"drama queen" - a person (not always female) given to letting/causing issues to become extremely overblown so as to become either the center of attention or to force an issue to a desired goal just as a way to shut that person up!

Also, my dear wife is a queen - because that is the name given to the woman who leads the local chapter of the Red Hat Society. In any OTHER social club, that person would be the president - but the Red Hat Society, being originally from the UK, doesn't elect presidents. They choose queens. What can I say? Fortunately, I don't have to genuflect or bow when she passes. My knees are too old for that foolishness.

So you confirm that this statement was correct:cool:

don't be so daft, America's full of queens

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Thank you Doc and FoFa for demonstrating that not all americans have limited vocabularies. Such erudition is a pleasure to read :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom