Vista rant (1 Viewer)

Local time
Yesterday, 19:37
I just bought a new PC with Vista installed. Against my better judgement, I didn't immediately format it and install XP.

I started installing stuff.

My wireless NIC card doesn't work with Vista. Not too big a deal 'cept it took me 2 hours to figure out. Windows/Vista certainly didn't help any, actually pretending to help me install the driver. I finally had to dig deep into the manufacturer's web site for Vista compatibility (they couldn't put it on the driver download page). That's just a load.

I installed a really great little program that I've been using to track my productivity and assist in billing my clients called Process Dashboard (written in Java). It installed ok and works but I noticed that the desktop icons weren't showing. I went into the properties for the shortcut and said to change the icon and Vista said that the icon didn't exist. I went looking for it in the "Program Files" directory and the entire directory didn't exist. Interestingly enough, the .jar file was also "in the same directory" (the "Program Files" directory that didn't exist for the icon file) and it works fine.

So I went digging. I finally found the icon and jar file in a folder deep in my user directory called "Virtual Store\Program Files".

It seems Microsoft has taken it on themselves to disallow programs to write to the "Program Files" directory. This impacts Java programs (and others) that use a non-windows-installer program. The installer for MSN Messenger also installs messenger in the virtual store. Same for Adobe (which I'm also getting sick of, but I'll save that for a different rant).

While searching for my missing icon, I used the search tool. Awful!!! It's worse than the new Windows Live search garbage they forced on us, that seems to be uninstallable. Anyone know why they can't put the folder name in the result set? Is it really that hard to do in these newer products? Lord, give me back 2000!

Also, Vista seems uncontented asking you if you're sure you want to run a program only once. It beleagered (sp?) me with hundreds of "are you sure", "do you want to", and other annoying installation messages. Uh, Microsoft, if I wasn't sure, I wouldn't have clicked on the install icon.

This is annoying beyond belief. From the little experience I have, Vista is the crappiest OS that has ever been served up to an unsuspecting public. I hate it!

Sorry to load this all on you but I couldn't find another place to rant. You certainly can't complain on Microsoft's site.

Thanks for listening.

Kiwiman

Local time
Today, 01:37
I'm with you there mate. We bought a Vista machine a few months back, and it has given me no ends of problems by dropping the internet connection at will. The only way to turn the puppy back on (that I have found is to reboot).

You could be happy surfing away, and then wham Vista turns the Network adapters off - hows that work?

There is a lot of this problem on the web, and found potential resolutions (not from Microsoft I must add). One of the solutions was to turn the power management option for the network adtapters off. This has decreased the occurrence of it happening but not eliminated it.

We run at least one other (sometimes 2) other computers off our home network, and the only one that does this is the Vista one. The older XP ones are more reliable...

Come back XP - all is forgiven!!!

Local time
Yes, Mr. Soft has taken control of our lives a little at a time and we have let him. Now we have to deal with sub-standard products because they are the only ones that offer a (real) product and won't let us use the old products that work.

And I'm pretty sure the Virtual directory thing is a direct slap at Sun/Java, though it has impacted an MS product, too.

Grrrr.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:37
My 2 pence worth

Reading your post you have 4 main rants:

1) Driver incompatibility

As you've seen manufacturers have been slow to get drivers out for Vista that is why initially lots of people were complaining that Vista 'broke' their PC it was actually the manufacturers fault. Vista shipped with over 10 times as many drivers than XP did and in the early days of XP the same issues caused people to blame Microsoft. I know you haven't but lots of people are ;)

2) Installation/ folder structure

I don't see any issue with changing the way programs are installed regarding their file path as you mentioned it does work, though the icon issue does seem a little odd.

3) The new search

This is intended to make searches easier and faster as most people don't care where the particular file is. For regularly access folders I would set them up on the start bar or as a desktop icon. I can see what you mean I like to know where all my files are but is there no an option to show folders ? I can't remember as it was so long ago I had Vista. In reality I bet if you stick with it you'll get used to it after all the thing I hated about XP I've got used to ;)

4) Permissions aka the UAC (User Access Control)

I personally think this is a good idea - under XP every user is automatically added as a full system admin and can therefore install anything including viruses, this was brought in to Vista to help prevent exactly that. Yes it can be an annoyance but you can get control of it and configure it accordingly a couple of links via tech net or if your techy and don't want this to be there why not disable it ? clicky the last one is the easiest.

Remember this is a fundamental change to a Microsoft O/S, I'm not saying it's without it flaws but it will take more seasoned users (like myself ;)) a bit longer to get used to it, there will always be teething issues that's why I would never use a new O/S in anger until it's first service pack is released speaking of which have you applied SP1 ? clicky

Local time
Thanks for reigning me in. I realize I'll get it configured one day and probably get over it. I made a conscious decision to keep Vista installed though I had an Enterprise XP Professional disk in my hand. I just needed to rant and didn't want to take it out on anyone else. I figured MS could defend themselves.

BTW, I always disable all security for my own personal use. I always want to see all hidden files and secret folders. I don't need to be monitored by MS.

I think one of the issues that I didn't articulate is that each new release of Windows behaves more and more like the early Macs (i.e. you can't find anything and don't have any control, until you wrest it away).

Local time
Oh, you'll also recall that I hated the endless "are you sure" messages. I never liked them in any OS, it's just worse in Vista.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:37
Thanks for reigning me in. I realize I'll get it configured one day and probably get over it.

Don't get me wrong I was seriously annoyed that the first thing I tried to get working under Vista (my TV capture card) didn't work hence the reason I'm sticking to XP for now but I was concious this is a public forum so balance is always a good thing :p

Oh, you'll also recall that I hated the endless "are you sure" messages. I never liked them in any OS, it's just worse in Vista.

100% agree with you there, the worst thing on XP was the new programs installed 'highlight' a real pain in the (_._) I mean why do you have to tell me I've just installed a new program when I've just installed it ? :mad::rolleyes:

I think that Microsoft are trying but because they have such a dominance in the market place they feel the need to accommodate everyone from techies to 'normal' users and in Vista they have shifted certain aspects toward those with less technical ability, particularly security which was heavily criticised, and that can frustrate those of us that don't need to be hand held every single step.

It will be interesting when Windows 7 is released I wonder how many people will be up in arms about that and want to stick with Vista SP2 ;) oh and btw I agree with you on Windows 2000 imo the best version of Windows ever, mainly because it was built based on the NT kernel.

Local time
More info.

I tried to run my java program after shutting down last night and Vista couldn't find it (where it put it against my will).

I decided to try to move the java program directory into the (regular) Program Files directory. Vista complained that I needed to be an administrator to do it. I hit OK and it moved the files. Now my java program works correctly and the icons show up.

Do you guys remember Microsoft Bob? And they call that security.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Microsoft Bob?? what the heck is that?? am I too young to know what you're talking about??

What version of the OS do you have George?? I have home premium. do you have the Ultimate version or something?? I wonder if that is the difference??

As a side note, I never thought I would come to know as much as I do about the "secret" society that runs us: that being the world of computers...and the people behind them.

Local time
Microsoft Bob was a windows os in the 90s that came out around the time of Windows 95. It had a friendly yellow smiley face logo and was supposed to be very user friendly. At the time, Microsoft still had (limited) competition from Apple and IBM (OS2). It was less popular than the later Edsel, Windows ME.

If you forgot your MS Bob password, no problem. Bob would allow you to change it without knowing the old password. Did I mention how friendly it was?

I think I may have the Vista Ultimate version. But I have all my problems fixed now...I totally turned off all security and have everything looking very retro...it looks and acts a lot like Windows 2000 now, thankfully.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
I totally turned off all security and have everything looking very retro...it looks and acts a lot like Windows 2000 now, thankfully.
I had someone ask me the other day if I am operating XP. I changed the entire interface back to XP look. Rectangular start button and all.

the vista interface can kiss my a**.

That's part of the problem too, with Vista. All that freakin' memory being taken up by storing data from past versions of windows. it's ridiculous.

BTW, have you ever tried to operate LINUX?? I hear it's a dream for "techy" people, but it would probably be inoperable for other people that need to click. :)

Local time
Yes, I've had Linux running since 1997. It is, in my opinion, not ready for prime time with regards to a client machine. But Linux is an excellent server and invaluable for writing/testing multi-platform (C++/Java) code.

zelld

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:37
i installed vista on my rig for two days, and reverted back to xp thereafter. all the fancy bells and whistles is NOT worth it at all. i have hackintosh dual booted in my rig, so when i do my surfing, i'm on that. when i'm working (which is like 60% of my office time.... hehehe), i boot back to xpsp2. i've heard good reviews of xpsp3, but i find that what i have works for me. as the parody goes, "if it ain't broke, don't broke it" - lol. i love forced errors.

zelld

Registered User.
Local time
i installed vista on my rig for two days and decided to revert back to xpsp2 - it is definitely NOT worth all the bells and whistles. i've heard good reviews with xpsp3, but what i have right now works. as the pun goes, "if it ain't broke, don't broke it"

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Everytime I come home to my beautiful Mac, the heavenly angel sing and I sigh a beatitude for release from the hell that is Windows.

Whenever I'm at work, I try to use Cygwin and Slackware as much as possible to make it all the bearable. Good ol' faithful Slackware!

zelld

Registered User.
Local time
Everytime I come home to my beautiful Mac, the heavenly angel sing and I sigh a beatitude for release from the hell that is Windows.

Whenever I'm at work, I try to use Cygwin and Slackware as much as possible to make it all the bearable. Good ol' faithful Slackware!

nuf said banana - i have hackintosh on all my PCs right now. if only there was a software for mac that could run windows programs natively - i'm not talking about emulation, REAL native support. there are just some windows programs that i can't live without... like picasa for example. sure, iphoto is good enough and i play around with lightroom and aperture, but i kind of like how picasa sorts things.

and there are more similar programs i just can't live without.

Banana

Local time
Zelid,

Intel Mac can virtualize the Windows, using Boot Camp, Parallels or Fusion.

zelld

Registered User.
Local time
yeah, i know. i just wish that i could just double click on an .exe file in osx and see it mount and install as would a .dmg or .pkg file, and all that jazz

Banana

Local time
Then Parallels is probably what you want- Look at its Coherence mode, IIRC.

Local time
OK, just figured out how to articulate (I think) something that I noticed that I hate about Vista that I didn't mention before.

Seems "search" doesn't work, at least not in a way you would expect it to.

You'd expect to be able to click on the search tool and search your whole computer...nope, only the stuff that is "indexed", whatever that means. I love how Microsoft is able to tell me what it wants to tell me and I had better just get used to it.

So, you can navigate to the folder that you want to search and then type in your search string (makes no sense). So, I type in the first letter for a file that I can plainly see, and poof, it disappears.

So, I indexed the Directory I'm trying to search in, and started the search from that same directory. Type the first letter and, the files that meet that criteria disappear but one with that letter later in its name still shows. ???

What a POS.

Fortunately, I have remained conversant with DOS all these years and can still do a search at the DOS prompt. I guess I can thank MS for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom