Presume This is a Scam (1 Viewer)

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 14:46
I presume that this full screen that popped up on a not often used laptop is a scam?
After closing the screen I went to Security Updates in Windows and installed an update. So as expected the message was wrong

Attachments

• Windows10.png
    Windows10.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 72

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I am still getting updates on Win 10?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
So am I but very old versions of Win10 are no longer supported or getting security updates

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
One solution is to go to type Check for Updates into the search bar next to Start and see if it appears in there. Avoid clicking the Check for Updates button on the popup.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 09:46
The scam flags; asking the the user to click on their notice and not directing the user to use the official Windows update procedure and the word "free".

Cotswold

Local time
Looks genuine to me. What makes you think its a scam?
It totally covered the whole screen., like the blue screen of death. It told me I wasn't receiving updates but I am. No mention of Microsoft. It was to me an unusual screen.

But if the title tells me I'm not receiving updates, what is the point in giving me an option to check for updates? Why would Microsoft tell me I will not be updated and then tell me to check for updates. Pointless even to design the screen and send it out.

To me it didn't seem right. So as I said I closed it without clicking on anything and then went to Settings, System Update and installed one update waiting.
If you all receive this screen and you're happy then Ok. But it just didn't seem quite right.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Do a virus scan too. Might want to try Malwarebytes too as a temporary check.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Because it's often not used it might be missing an update or two.
Oh yes, whenever I switch on a rarely used computer, it slows down whilst the updates are applied.
However the free word would make me suspicious? Since when have MS charged for windows updates?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:46
Oh yes, whenever I switch on a rarely used computer, it slows down whilst the updates are applied.
However the free word would make me suspicious? Since when have MS charged for windows updates?
Personally, I would click it because I have a rock solid backup .img

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The message said your Windows version had reached end of service and wasn't receiving security updates. It didn't say you couldn't run an update.
I got a very similar message on a rarely used VM running Win10 version 1812 or similar. That was genuine.
Whether it said free, I can't remember.

So my gut feeling is that it was genuine. I may be wrong. Either way, your caution led you to update which was a good thing

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 22:46
I hoped someone points it out, but unfortunately no one did. You are not the only one who received that warning. And it's not a scam by any means.
As @isladogs said, that's a genuine warning. Microsoft ended support for following versions of Windows on May 11, 2021.
  • Windows 10 Education, version 1803 and version 1809
  • Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1803 and version 1809
  • Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, version 1803 and version 1809
And Windows 10 21H2 editions that have reached their end of servicing on June 13, 2023, includes:
  • Windows 10 Home, version 21H2
  • Windows 10 Pro, version 21H2
  • Windows 10 Pro Education, version 21H2
  • Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 21H2

The message says that you can not receive security updates on your current version (built) of OS. And you have to update to a more recent one. The latest current version of Windows 10 is 22H2.
There are a lot of discussions on this warning on different sites.

Last edited:

Cotswold

Local time
@KitaYama ; thanks for that detail

MIne is 21H2 and won't update to 22H2. It errors out when attempted.
I'll try it at a less busy day and if it fails then I'll just keep it offline. In
fact when I was working none of my development PCs ever went online.
So not a problem to me now.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
@KitaYama ; thanks for that detail

MIne is 21H2 and won't update to 22H2. It errors out when attempted.
I'll try it at a less busy day and if it fails then I'll just keep it offline. In
fact when I was working none of my development PCs ever went online.
So not a problem to me now.
I have a HP laptop that has an I7 in it, but is not upgradable to Win11, and having seen the issues my old boss is having with his Win11 laptop, I do not think I would want it anyway. :)
It is on
1700998852644.png

You could always try downloading an install onto a USB stick and see if that will update, if you think it is worth the effort.

skymou

Local time
Today, 09:46
@Cotswold, I had that problem tool. The "Windows Update Assistant" worked for me.
I can't post the link, so just search for it.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:46
If you have an older computer and you want to upgrade to Windows 11 because your version of Windows 10 is reaching end of life. You won't be able to, It simply won't let you upgrade due to the new arbitrary requirements. Your only options are keep Windows 10 and suffer from lack of security updates or download the Windows 11 ISO from Microsoft.

If you download the ISO you'll need to install it onto a flash drive with Rufus. Rufus allows you to configure the ISO to bypass the new arbitrary requirements of Windows 11.

After the installation, Windows 11 will run and update as usual.

BUT as @Gasman has mentioned "if you think it is worth the effort."

Screenshot 2023-11-26 101535.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom