Congratulations Obama, Thanks America. (1 Viewer)

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 02:01
Paul the resident lurker thinks he made a funny - :)

hmmm, lurking and doherty remind me of some place north of England ????:p

KenHigg

Local time
Yesterday, 20:01
When I read this thread for the first time, I saw Colin and his usual display of disregard for all things American. So then I ignored it for a while, but then it occurred to me.

Colin, who gives a flamin' friggin' fart about touching or not touching the Queen. She's human, born of woman, and isn't elevated 90 degrees towards divinity. When she dies, she's gonna moulder in her grave just like John Brown's body. So if Michelle Obama wanted to touch the old biddy in an affectionate way while she was still alive, what's it to you? A sign of disrespect, perhaps? Akin to the disrespect you've shown Americans on so many past occasions. Perhaps Michelle knew it would bother you, so she did it for the pure spite of the moment. But you wouldn't know about spiteful moments, would you? No, I didn't think so...

You know Doc I've never seen any interviews with Michelle but you've sparked my interest and I'm going to be on the watch to see anything they may air... :)

KenHigg

Local time
Although I occasionally do play some bass, that's not the issue Ken.
What I meant is that there are some great bass players around who are masters on their instrument and may not have any association with guitar(s). ;)

Ok, I admit was just trying to gig Col and I yield to your musical prowess... Sorry - ;)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 01:01
When I read this thread for the first time, I saw Colin and his usual display of disregard for all things American. So then I ignored it for a while, but then it occurred to me.

Colin, who gives a flamin' friggin' fart about touching or not touching the Queen. She's human, born of woman, and isn't elevated 90 degrees towards divinity. When she dies, she's gonna moulder in her grave just like John Brown's body. So if Michelle Obama wanted to touch the old biddy in an affectionate way while she was still alive, what's it to you? A sign of disrespect, perhaps? Akin to the disrespect you've shown Americans on so many past occasions. Perhaps Michelle knew it would bother you, so she did it for the pure spite of the moment. But you wouldn't know about spiteful moments, would you? No, I didn't think so...

It's actually known as protocol and tradition. I'm not surprised that is alien to a Yankee.

I actually used to like that Obama woman until in every interview or clip of her when they visited the UK, she went banging on about how well she's done by marrying whats-his-name. She is so patronising and thinks she is so superior.

She's just a black girl who got lucky - like Diana Ross. The difference being, Ross has got talent.

Col

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Ok, I admit was just trying to gig Col ....

I reckon you did :D. It looks to me that there are some dispositive sentiments relevant to Sir Colin, (Doc just made one) so why shouldn't we start a Bash Col thread ? :confused:

KenHigg

Local time
It's actually known as protocol and tradition.
Col

$10/gallon gas and leader that doesn't have to reveal her position on the issues and you write it off to protocol and tradition...:rolleyes:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 01:01
$10/gallon gas and leader that doesn't have to reveal her position on the issues and you write it off to protocol and tradition...:rolleyes:

Why do you think we have a Prime Minister? Unlike the USA, the UK is a democracy and not a dictatorship.

Col

KenHigg

Local time
She's just a black girl who got lucky - like Diana Ross. The difference being, Ross has got talent.

Col

Ms. Windsor is the one with all of the luck ;) The difference being, I'm not sure what her 'talent' is?

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Google only gives me a movie , Hoodwinked :confused:

KenHigg

Local time
Why does that remind you of Scotland (I am guessing). Kens preoccupation with lurking, reminds me of a friends episode in Vegas.

Maybe a lurker got Kens jackpot one time.

Ha... You seem to be the one preoccupied with lurking. Here Paul, let me help you understand:

lurk
  /lɜrk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [lurk] Show IPA
–verb (used without object)
1. to lie or wait in concealment, as a person in ambush; remain in or around a place secretly or furtively.
2. to go furtively; slink; steal.
3. to exist unperceived or unsuspected.
4. Chiefly Computers. to read or observe an ongoing discussion without participating in it, as in an Internet newsgroup.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:01
It's actually known as protocol and tradition. I'm not surprised that is alien to a Yankee.

Colin, I tried that once. Doesn't work that well. At least in the USA, someone claiming either "protocol" or "tradition" has something to hide.

As to the word "hoodwink" - whenever I have heard it used, in practical terms it means (roughly) - to deceive by obscuration of relevant conditions or events.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
At least in the USA, someone claiming either "protocol" or "tradition" has something to hide.
What about the tradition of celebrating the Fourth of July? What are you lot hiding there? :confused:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:01
We're hiding the fact that we just wanted a convenient holiday to break up the monotony of USA summers. All the really good holidays for us occur in fall and winter.

Like Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day. Then we have a couple of government-based holidays. Martin Luther King day, President's Day, Easter, And then Memorial Day. After Memorial day, without taking the Fourth of July off, we'd have June, July, and August with not a single useful holiday. That's too long. So we use the excuse that we are celebrating the time when we beat the heck out of the redcoats.

However, Alc, I was actually referring to the way that politicians explain why they did something. Usually because someone else got away with it and they wanted to get some of the same action ("tradition") or because if you were doing the work of your office, you cannot be prosecuted for it ("protocol") unless someone can first show that your purported criminal action was not a proper duty of your office.

The trial of former Congressman William Jefferson, which started last week, will probably use the latter defense for the 16 counts of public bribery that are the core of the prosecution. Doesn't matter. About half of his family has already taken a plea bargain or has been outright convicted of felony acts of bribery and criminal collusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom