Obama (1 Viewer)

statsman

Local time
Yesterday, 19:47
Freedom of religion includes the right NOT to have a religion and not to be bothered by those who suffer from their particular faith.

It has gone rather overboard nowadays with no Christmas decorations and Happy Holidays etc.

What really upsets me is the number of fundamentalist Christian preachers in the US who attempt to influence legislation by claiming its ungodly, unchristian or whatever.

If they're right, why don't they stand for election. If God is really on their side they'll win in a landslide.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 00:47
Freedom of religion in the USA? Ah yes that means setting up a sect and abusing children and women in Texas.

BBC news here

Col

Darth Vodka

Registered User.
Local time
Incorrect.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

In other words, there is no state sponsored religion and you are free to practice any religion you want. That's the Constitution.

The term "separation between church and state" comes from a letter written by Thomas Jefferson and is not part of the Constitution.

how is that hair you're splitting?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" seems pretty much to be secularism to be

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" seems pretty much to be secularism to be

It's wonderful what a bit of editing can do, just continue your quote a bit further.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
and what we find is that congress is neither going to promote or hinder any religion, seems pretty fair to me.

Brian

Heywood43

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:47

The meaning is clear. The government will not back any religion.

All I am trying to say is that people today have expanded that to mean there should be absolutely no religion in public life.

The fact of the matter is that there is nothing in the Constitution to support that claim. That would actually be supporting atheism as a belief which would go against that very amendment.

Anyway this post is about Obama, I didn't mean to take the subject into a different direction. I just wanted to point out what the Constitution says.

Darth Vodka

Registered User.
Local time

All I am trying to say is that people today have expanded that to mean there should be absolutely no religion in public life.

not me :)

fair comment on the constitution, but i wasn't quoting it directly and i think the ethos of it is secularism itself

and sorry, OT, back to Oh Bomb-a Hussein's Barracks

Mick Jagger

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:47

Religion is totally exempt from the cognizance of the government. No authoirty whatsoever regarding religion was granted in the Constitution.

It's free country, dude. People can expand any idea they want to. There's no statute or judicial opinion that says there should be absolutely no religion in public life.

KenHigg

Local time
Would you care to define exaclty what you mean when you use the word 'religion' in the previous statement? Just define it a little so your statement can be put in the proper context. :)

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Would you care to define exaclty what you mean when you use the word 'religion' in the previous statement? Just define it a little so your statement can be put in the proper context. :)
It could be dangerous to go down that road Ken. Some of my definitions might be needlessly inflamatory so I will keep them to myself as I do not wish to upset those who have deeply held and sincere beliefs

KenHigg

Local time
It's just that the it was put one might erroneously assume anything related to religion is off limits to any form of government, which is not the case...

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
There's no statute or judicial opinion that says there should be absolutely no religion in public life.

But it would be a much happier world if religion of any sort didn't exist.

Col

R

Rich

It's free country, dude. People can expand any idea they want to. There's no statute or judicial opinion that says there should be absolutely no religion in public life.

Well that's odd, isn't communism a religion?:confused: :rolleyes:

Local time
Yesterday, 18:47
One only has to examine the facts over the years, the evidence is there for all with open eyes to arrive at the correct conclusion

Oh, then could you state those facts along with their sources to indicate what Col said earlier? Seems like this exercise could be a bit subjective, so any studies you include may help.

What I had always heard was that people who had deep religious convictions and activity were more likely to be self-actualized (level 5...remember Maslow's hierarchy?), indicating that they had a more full, and yes, happy, life (it always seemed to work for me).

I haven't looked to see if there was an actual study to prove that, though I also haven't made the statement opposite of Col's and thus, don't really need to prove it, though it does make sense. Just looking to see if either of you have any facts that are provable (not subjective) to back up your premise.

statsman

Local time
Freedom of religion in the USA? Ah yes that means setting up a sect and abusing children and women in Texas.

BBC news here

Col

I'm far more interested in the tax exempt status. :D

Seriously for a moment, it's unbelievable what some "religions" will do in the name of their faith. Start with the Crusades and the Inquisition then move forward (or backward).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom