A New Definition of Incompetence (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:23
I've seen some seriously bad jobs done by people who had no work ethic, but this list astounds me. Some folks need to be fired and frickin' starve to death so we can take them out of the work pool, much less the gene pool. If this is what THEY do, what will their kids do? (Or, more likely, NOT do?)

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:23
Old guy on his porch watching 2 government workers coming down the street. First one was digging a hole. Second one fifty yards behind follows filling in the holes. The guy on the porch when the first worker when he gets close asks him what they're doing. "Planting trees". "Where's the trees?" he asks. The response is that the guy in the middle who puts the tree in the hole is off sick that day.

hkc94501

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:23
Easy to blame the workers. But it would be better to ask who hired them, what qualifications were they looking for, how much training were they given, and how much were you willing to pay.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:23
Easy to blame the workers

2 government workers (Fred & Bill)

the guy in the middle - off sick... (Jeff)

Fred & Bill turned up for work. Jeff was off sick. Fred & Bill reported to the office and the assistant manager, a cocky, straight out of college lad called Lawrence said, continue with what you were doing yesterday guys.

Fred, realising that they couldn't, as Jeff was off, started to explain. Lawrence, assumed Fred was challenging his authority, immediately shut Fred down without giving Fred a chance to explain.

So Fred & Bill carried out their orders to the letter.

I'll leave it to your imagination as to what happened when they got to the pub!

Last edited:

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:23
I have always had an issue with the government always hiring the lowest bidder. I know we are trying to save tax payers money. But somehow it doesn't always seem to work out.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Consider, for example, NASA's Challenger incident where the O-rings were "cheapest bidder" and the Roman candle blew up in flight.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
It also introduces corruption, because the vendor who under bids every one else can not complete the job as promised. So in the end the vendor must increase the bid by 10% or more.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And THEN there is the incompetence of our fearless (or maybe just clueless) leader, who has allowed the Taliban to overrun Afghanistan. If we want to talk incompetence, we have a pretty good example right here.

CollaTech

Local time
Today, 23:23
Children will simply turn out like their parents. Its like inheriting pain and suffering. I wonder where justice is or if it exist.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today I woke up on the cynical side of the bed. Pardon me while I air it out a bit.

Justice in the common use of the term doesn't exist. It's a chimera, an illusion. What we call justice in "civilized" countries is merely that we delay and somehow soften the only law that ever actually worked - the law of the jungle.

In the jungle, animals herd together because the predators only take a couple of their members before the herd tramples the predators to death.

In civilized countries, we herd together in cities and allow predators to ravage us until a herd of police officers - or vigilantes - band together and take down the predator.

In countries that rely on others for safety, when the others tire of offering that safety, the predators that have been patiently circling the pack close in and pounce. The weaklings do not survive.

We can either act to continue protecting them or we can mourn their fate. But if they cannot protect themselves from the roving predators, we are left with deciding which sacrifice to make: More of our own people, or throw them to the wolves.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
This quote has been bandied about for a while.

‘You Have The Watches, We Have The Time’​

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
But if they cannot protect themselves from the roving predators, we are left with deciding which sacrifice to make: More of our own people, or throw them to the wolves

And people "see" that choice in many differing ways and to different degrees. Some people see zero value to 'us' in the "more of our people" option, and others do see value to 'us' in the "more of our people" option. Still others emphasize the 'value to them' in the "more of our people" and find that to be morally adequate such as to mandate some involvement in select conflicts, if we can.

I know this might be seen as an over-used, obsolete, "it'll probably never happen again" cliché, but always remember the major wars of history.
A substantial number of them (but perhaps not the Vietnam, Somalia, etc that everyone likes to talk about now) meant getting involved in a foreign & distant country in order to stop an evil that may well have continued to grow until it threatened the world - and us.

The Nazi phenomenon seems to have taken the world by surprise as a relatively quick rise. Radical Islam may be a slower one, but we shouldn't be lulled by that slowness into a false sense of security, or that it doesn't matter since they've been largely unsuccessful in crossing certain geographic sections of the world ... Where there's a will, there's a way, even though it takes time. And in that group, there is a very strong will. I would say, stronger than the Nazi will was, as religious motivations are generally the most relentless and persistent the world ever sees.

I'm a firm believer in King's "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere". Although I do realize that limitations on resources mean limitations on what makes sense to get involved in.

@AccessBlaster ... great quote, hadn't heard it...

hkc94501

Local time
Consider, for example, NASA's Challenger incident where the O-rings were "cheapest bidder" and the Roman candle blew up in flight.
You should do a little research before making an unfounded claim like this. The Challenger disaster was not caused by cheapest bidder O rings, it was caused by a management decision by NASA to launch against the professional advice of the engineers at Morton Thiokol. If you would like to learn what really happened you could consult the official report Report of the Presedential Commission on the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident. You could also read Richard Feynman's personal account in his book What Do You Care What Other People Think? There is also an excellent discussion of the ineffective way the the Morton Thiokol engineers presented their case in Edward R. Tufte's Visual Explanations.

Uninformed opinion == Bullshit

hkc94501

Local time
And THEN there is the incompetence of our fearless (or maybe just clueless) leader, who has allowed the Taliban to overrun Afghanistan. If we want to talk incompetence, we have a pretty good example right here.
Why is it that the people who didn't have any problem with the former guy negotiating a withdrawal without any preconditions and without consulting the local government in Afghanistan, and giving the Taliban a date for our departure feel so offended when the current guy honors a committment made by his predecessor? Some blame should also be shared with that guy 20 years ago who went in to get Bin Laden, but missed, and then tried to build a democracy and also missed on that one. Seems to me that Republicans are awful good at getting the country into the swamp but not very good at getting out. Granted in Vietnam it was Democrats that got us in and Republicans who had to fly the helicopters off the roof of the Embassy to get us out.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Why is it that the people who didn't have any problem with the former guy negotiating a withdrawal without any preconditions and without consulting the local government in Afghanistan, and giving the Taliban a date for our departure feel so offended when the current guy honors a committment made by his predecessor? Some blame should also be shared with that guy 20 years ago who went in to get Bin Laden, but missed, and then tried to build a democracy and also missed on that one. Seems to me that Republicans are awful good at getting the country into the swamp but not very good at getting out. Granted in Vietnam it was Democrats that got us in and Republicans who had to fly the helicopters off the roof of the Embassy to get us out.
Because Biden is the guy who screwed it up
Pretty simple..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom