Access 2007 - Web forms? (1 Viewer)

NewShoes

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:43
Hey all,

What has happened to web forms? I thougth it was a handy feature in 2003. Is there anything I can do to get this feature or similar in 2007?

We dont run that Sharepoint thing at work so I can't use that.

Thanks,
-NS

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Data Access Projects went away in 2007 and beyond. They were only moderately successful and so the Access Team has moved in a different direction. So, if you can't use SharePoint, then you will likely need to create an ASP.NET frontend for your Access backend if you want web access.

NewShoes

Registered User.
Local time
Many thanks boblarson. Do you know if an ASP.NET page will need to be ran from a webserver or would it work from a shared folder? Also, how much knowledge would I need to make a ASP page from a simple query?

Thanks,
NS

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Many thanks boblarson. Do you know if an ASP.NET page will need to be ran from a webserver
I'm not an expert in ASP.NET but I do believe it does require the use of an IIS webserver.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:43
Why do you need a web-based application? Can you deploy your Access application on Windows Server and use Terminal Services to use it? I've done this very successfully with many users. That way there's no extra programming work for you to do...all you have to do is split the database, give each user a unique front end (I usually create folders called "User1", "User2" and so one and everyone links to their specific front end). I've deployed Access databases used by 40-50 people at 10 separate locations successfully this way.

SHADOW

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:43
Shadow,

There are times when you need to distinguish between internal information and public information published on the web. Yes, I agree a Terminal Server is a great solution but you can already see where the next version of Office is going - it will be browser friendly.

Simon

Simon

NewShoes

Registered User.
Local time
From memory, I believe Access webforms used to run fine from a shared folder. Does anyone know what format these were? ...and if it would be possible to replicate them by coding them by hand or using a package such as dreamweaver etc?

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Hi

asp pages do need iis to run as it has a sort of engine. However, for those of you who only have a pc, you can use either

webserver pro or babywebserver both from pablosoftwaresolutions

it allows use of asp pages and it's easy to use. I think the babyweb is free but doesn't have many options.

Hth

nidge

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
You also try Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express. Again reliant on IIS.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom