Conversion Error Access 2003 to Access 2007

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:33
Our boss has asked us to convert many of our Legacy Access databases from Access 2003 to Access 2007 and we have received the following errors.

On one of the data bases; being converted.
The Expression On Timer you entered as the event property setting produced the following error. The expression you entered has a function that Customer (database name) Can’t Find

On an other of the databases being converted.
Action Failed, Stop all Macros

Could we please receive your suggestion on how to fix these problem?

Thank you
Nicole

tvanstiphout

Local time
In the 2003 db, Alt+F11 to open the VBA editor, then Debug > Compile. Does it?

Repeat in 2007.

BTW, what is the point of going from a 20-year old app to a 16-year old app? Both are out of support.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:33
First guess would be whether all of the references were available. Not only the Office references, but any other product references that you might have tried to use as application objects. Also, availability of ActiveX libraries in a Win10 system is questionable, whereas on older systems, ActiveX was still supported.

Even though you would (hopefully) have a complete Office 2007 installation, which SHOULD give you all of the standard libraries, Win10 patching could certainly get in the way. Were those Office 2007 versions recently installed or were they just hangin' around? (The longer they were hanging around, the more likely THEY got patched... though maybe not, since 2007 stuff has long fallen off of support, too.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
How exactly are you converting them?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 14:33
you can always ask someone you trust to convert it for you for free.

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
In the 2003 db, Alt+F11 to open the VBA editor, then Debug > Compile. Does it?

Repeat in 2007.

BTW, what is the point of going from a 20-year old app to a 16-year old app? Both are out of support.
Thank you for your note, tvanstiphout.

The Charity that I Volenteer at has so many old Access legacy databases, that they want to upgrade each old version to their next version to ensure that their data is not lost..
Currently we are converting their 2003 to 2007 than when all of their 2007 databases are working, we will upgrade their databases to the next version, which version would you suggest that we go to next?

Crystal

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
First guess would be whether all of the references were available. Not only the Office references, but any other product references that you might have tried to use as application objects. Also, availability of ActiveX libraries in a Win10 system is questionable, whereas on older systems, ActiveX was still supported.

Even though you would (hopefully) have a complete Office 2007 installation, which SHOULD give you all of the standard libraries, Win10 patching could certainly get in the way. Were those Office 2007 versions recently installed or were they just hangin' around? (The longer they were hanging around, the more likely THEY got patched... though maybe not, since 2007 stuff has long fallen off of support, too.
Thank you "The Doc Man" for your note.

We installed our Office 2007 Access from our original Microsoft Disk, but have left Office 2003 Access on their machine.
Should we remove Access 2003?

Crystal

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you the DBguy for your note.

I followed these instructions, "To convert an Access 2003 database (.mdb) to the .accdb file format, you must first open the database by using Access 2007 and then save it in the .accdb file format.

The above instructions have worked fine for 7 of the Charity's databases, but not for the last 2.

Crystal​

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:33
You haven’t answered the question in post #2 - have you tried compiling? In both 2003 and 2007 versions

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thank you "The Doc Man" for your note.

We installed our Office 2007 Access from our original Microsoft Disk, but have left Office 2003 Access on their machine.
Should we remove Access 2003?

Crystal

Sometimes the two versions of Office on the same machine would get in each other's way. More recently they have taken steps to prevent a kind of version interference, but I can't recall if that method was in play in 2007. Your best bet for conversion is the following: FIRST, on a "pure" Ac2003 system, make a backup copy, then perform a Compact & Repair and verify that the app is usable on Ac2003. Put it through its paces. If it is OK, C&R a second time and COPY that file to a system which is "pure" Ac2007. Try the method of letting Ac2007 read the Ac2003 format and convert it. Your backups were in case something didn't work as planned, of course. Doing it the way I suggested assures that you have no version or library interference on the same machine.

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
you can always ask someone you trust to convert it for you for free.
Thank you arnelgp for your note.

We had placed a note in the local University's newspaper, twice and received no replies for assistance in converting the Access databases.

All of the Access 2003 databases have been converted, but now we are working on 2 stubborn conversions, of which we have posted the problem.

Crystal

Thank you for your note theDBguy.
We opened each of the 2003 databases by using Access 2007 and than saved them in the .accdb file format.

Question.
Should we set the Access 2007 to Compact Always on Close.

Thank you.
Crystal

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thank you for your note theDBguy.
We opened each of the 2003 databases by using Access 2007 and than saved them in the .accdb file format.
Thanks for the additional information. For the two stubborn conversions, you could try creating a blank database using A2007 and then import all the object from the MDB file into it.

Question.
Should we set the Access 2007 to Compact Always on Close.
I'd say no. How big is the db? Is it not spilt?

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:33
which version would you suggest that we go to next?
Always convert to the most recent version. If your client has signed up for Office 365, then that is a subscription and will automatically update products as they are released. I'm not sure what the latest perpetual license version is. The subscription is priced at approximately 1/3 of the perpetual license version. Usually over a three year period there are enough improvements that most people want to upgrade anyway. Plus, I'm pretty sure that charities can get a discounted price from MS by using an enterprise agreement.

I don't have 2016 installed so I can't volunteer to help with the conversion.

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
Sometimes the two versions of Office on the same machine would get in each other's way. More recently they have taken steps to prevent a kind of version interference, but I can't recall if that method was in play in 2007. Your best bet for conversion is the following: FIRST, on a "pure" Ac2003 system, make a backup copy, then perform a Compact & Repair and verify that the app is usable on Ac2003. Put it through its paces. If it is OK, C&R a second time and COPY that file to a system which is "pure" Ac2007. Try the method of letting Ac2007 read the Ac2003 format and convert it. Your backups were in case something didn't work as planned, of course. Doing it the way I suggested assures that you have no version or library interference on the same machine.
Thank you, The Doc Man.
We are going to have Access 2007 removed from the machine with both 2003 & 2007 access and place 2007 on a sperate machine.
? Should we set Access 2007 to Always compact on close?

Thank you
Nicole

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
We have seen occasional unfortunate results for that "always C&R on close" option. One should ALWAYS make a manual backup copy before attempting any C&R operation, because if the DB actually IS corrupt, the action would leave you with a still-corrupt DB that might have actually suffered even more data loss. You need to be there to SEE that the C&R worked.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Since the user should NEVER be modifying objects in the FE, there would be no growth or changes to the FE and therefore, no need to ever use Compact on close. When you are developing, that's a different situation. You should have a routine. You do backups frequently during the day so you have recovery points and you C&R frequently.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi Nicole,
? Should we set Access 2007 to Always compact on close?
Did you see my last post regarding that question? I asked some questions in there too. Can you answer those please? Thank you.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:33
Since the user should NEVER be modifying objects in the FE, there would be no growth or changes to the FE and therefore, no need to ever use Compact on close. When you are developing, that's a different situation. You should have a routine. You do backups frequently during the day so you have recovery points and you C&R frequently.
It is also a good idea to copy all the objects to a new database after protracted modifications. This really cleans them up and reinitialises the form collection indices, though unless you have a lot of forms being repeatedly replaced you are unlikely to ever hit the maximum number in the lifetime of the database which is somewhere about 750 IIRC. Someone else might remember the exact figure or know if that changed in later versions.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have an automatic backup in all my databases. It is triggered when the login form is closed. It finds the latest update date for any object and compares it to the last backup date and prompts me to backup. The backup does both export to text as well as a full file backup.

access2010

Registered User.
Local time
Hello, Pat Hartman and thank you for your past suggestions.

Could you please send us the code that you use to back up your databases when closing, as the user forgets to =>File => Backup Database before closing their program?

At the present time we use a timed Batch file to backup our data once a week? All of the databases that the Volunteers use are linked data bases, how would your auto back up work for the files on the server?

Thank you, Crystal

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom