Access 2010 upgrade to Access 2013 Observations - Dual Version Deployment experience (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 10:12
Wanted to share some general observations about Access 2010 moving up to Access 2013. Perhaps others will share observations or experience too.

Before I begin, let me tell you of the old Microsoft advice when using Office.
1. Never ever put two versions of MS Office on the Same Workstation.
2. Never ever have two workstations with different version in the same Office.
The intent of this pun is to indicate "they don't cohabitate at all".

Our environment is to use Citrix (virtual Machine) to Deploy an Access Application using a MS SQL Server 2008 back end.
Deployment:
We use Access 2010 to develop. The current version is placed in a common network location. SQL Server 2008r2 is the back-end database.
Each user launches Citrix session. Citrix makes a copy of the current version for each user.
The user can select from 3 Citrix Launch icons.
Citrix Production launches MS Office 2010 alinks to a SQL Server "Production DB"
Citrix Test launches MS Office 2010 but connects to a SQL Server "TestDB"
Citrix 2013 launches the MS Office 2013 - using an Access created in Access 2010 - links to the same SQL Server "TestDB"
Each Citrix VM is a template with the same processor, memory, and other resources.

Developer Desktop:
We use Office (MSAccess) 2010 for development. The current release is deployed to a network folder. One folder for each Production, Test, and Office 2013.

Observations:
When we release a new Verion created in Office 2010, the Citrix Launch takes the same amount of time for Production and Test. The launch includes spin-up and display of the Home form.

The Office 2013 Citrix opening the Office 2010 (same file) takes about five times the amount to launch.

Experiment: Convert Office 2010 to 2013 and run on Citrix Office 2013
We took the 2010 Production, and moved all objects into a blank Access 2013 dB. Then launched the Access 2013 result in the Citrix Office 2013.
This version launched exactly the same time our Office 2010 versions launched in production or test.
Conclusion: Both Office 2010 and 2013 have the same extension. But, there must be some file conversion going on for Access 2013 to open an Office 2010 format.

Experiment: Convert Office 2010 to 2013 and run on Citrix Office 2010 (i.e. Downleveling)
To recap, the copy of the Access DB in Office 2013 format was then placed on the Citrix Test that runs Office 2010.
It took a long time to launch. Then two small dialogue boxes popped up and went away too quickly to read. Finally, Access 2010 opened but the Home form didn't launch.
On further examination, none of the "VBA References" worked. Launching the Home form manually failed to display any records. We use a lot of VBA for just about anything.
Conclusion: The VBA References will Upgrade when running 2010 DB on the Office 2013 environment. But, an Access 2013 DB will not down-grade to Office 2010 VBA-References.

Of course, there were no expectations. This observation is just being shared for anyone one considering deployment with these two versions.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:12
i'll look at the rest, but wrt paradigms 1 and 2

1. not a problem for me. I had/have A97 (which no longer works on W7) and all versions up, coexisting quite happily.
2. by the same token, I develop to the lowest version. If some users have A2003 and other A2013, it doesn't matter. An A2003 mde works fine. I actually prefer the A2003 interface.

OK

with regard to references, it is important not to let users contaminate the "master release version", if you will

if you release with A2003 references, a later access version will update the references, and than the A2003 will not be able to repair to previous versions automatically.

Is it possible that your citrix server is having to reload the access instance from time to time, when it changes? I could see that causing the issues you describe. I would prefer to only have one access version on a server.

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:12
interesting observations - I've not had to move anyone to 2013 yet but will take note.

With regards launching a 2010 application in 2013, you said it took 5 times as long - is that significant in terms of 1 second v 5 seconds / 30 seconds v 2 1/2 minutes? And the follow up to that is once launched, was performance much the same or is there still a significant lag.

The other question is are you supplying an accde to production/2013? I would imagine the accde on 2013 would need to have been created in 2013 but from a 2010 accdb. Just wondering if that would have an impact on

Conclusion: Both Office 2010 and 2013 have the same extension. But, there must be some file conversion going on for Access 2013 to open an Office 2010 format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom