Access Essentials sticky thread recommendations (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:14
Discuss here what you think should be added to each "Essentials" thread in the Microsoft Access Discussion category. Then let the mods decide what makes the final cut and then implement.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 10:14
there's so much knowledge that can be put in these threads, Jon. don't you think that going overboard with something like this would discourage new users of access and put them off by overloading them with information and make it seem like the forum is suggesting they fend for themselves? sometimes asking questions, even stupid ones, helps newbies learn easier than just reading text for hours on end. I use people at GoDaddy as sounding boards all the time. I even do it to salespeople at Wal0Mart if I've been coding for hours and don't want to think anymore. it may result in a tad of bickering, but usually both people involved become more knowledgeable when it's over...

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 11:14
@vba_php
If I understand what Jon is recommending I think he is trying to make them like a table of contents where you would have
Topic
--- Faq 1
---Faq 2
Topic 2
--- FAQ 1
--- Code Example 1

If so that would be very helpful and organized.

If that is correct it works well. See this thread with an example form another forum. Currently the FAQs and Code examples are not organized. No way to find something unless you know what you are looking for.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
FAQs provide value. So do table of contents, ability to search and choice to post. None are compulsory.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:14
At times they feel a little heavy and obsolete, but honestly I just ignore them.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
compulsory.
that's an intelligent person's term. aside from looking it up, I would just choose something similar that's more in line with "less-thinking: :p I agree MAJ...no arg here.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
At times they feel a little heavy and obsolete, but honestly I just ignore them.
How do you mean neavy and obsolete? Curious of your perspective.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
How do you mean neavy and obsolete? Curious of your perspective.
compulsory = mandatory/enforced/coercive/compelling. why not just say "necessary"? that's what I mean.....I was referring to using simple language, rather than language that's evolved due to political correctness or over-intelligent humans (OOP-obsessed engineers for example). (this will draw fire, i'm sure!)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
speaking of engineers, Jon, I would be you a million bucks that I could take the following terms and convert them to common sense terms:

=>polymorphism
=>abstraction
=>encapsulation
=>object orientation

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:14
In the older software there seemed to be a lot stickies. Some of them felt stale, and not relevant. I think annual pruning might be in order.

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I don't think its compulsory to say necessary.

Please, entertain us all...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
In the older software there seemed to be a lot stickies. Some of them felt stale, and not relevant. I think annual pruning might be in order.
I agree entirely. That is why I have suggested in another thread to cut down the stickies! Prune them down to 3 maximum. By having an "Essentials" theme, I believe it would represent a great placeholder for links to great posts, act as a FAQ and so on. Less stickies=less scrolling=happier human beings.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
happier human beings.
happier human beings could come about by them discarding their worldly fears and following the Lord. what did the son say?
pick up your cross and follow me
doing so widens the door for entry. what else did the son say?
it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into the kingdom of heaven

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Big changes in the General section, with a cutting and slashing of the stickies. The original stickies can be found in the Essentials thread.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I responded to to an observation by Steve R in this thread:- https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/a-locked-library-sub-forum.310352/ --- I didn't mention in that thread, but I think it's worth mentioning here, the stickies themselves are at the top of the forum so first off, this gives you the first level of organisation because you will have a stickie related to a forum. As the sticky becomes full, let's say when it gets to 10 or 20 items, then place similar topics in a separate thread, link to that separate thread from the sticky. By way of example, imagine the "Form Forum" sticky, primarily it would fill up with random form related links. Then when it reached an unmanageable level, say 10 or 20 links, the links could be grouped on controls, subforms, forms, form subroutines as in close, open, onCurrent, whatever groupings become apparent. The sticky would then become one of the first places to look for an answer to a question.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I like the idea of sticking to the one sticky. But if you had say 20 items on there, instead of breaking up into more threads, just categorise on the sticky thread, so it looks a bit like a table of contents in book. Just my tuppence worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom