Access has encountered a problem and has to close. Apologies for the inconvenience (1 Viewer)

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:12
I've started getting this vague and in no way helpful message every time I attempt to look at any of the VBA behind my forms, modules, etc.

Luckily, the front end is stored separately from the data, but it's still preventing me from making changes to the forms.

I assume it means corruption of some kind has occurred, but I'm unclear as to what has caused it. Clicking on 'Debug' does nothing. Immediately below the above message it asks if I want to compact and repair the database. I say 'yes' and this also achieves nothing.

In addition, I have tried the following to fix it:

1) Opening the database window and go to Compact and Repair, via the Tools menu. This appears to fix the problem, in that I can then view the VBA code. However, the next time I log out and back into the db, I get the same problem all over again.
2) I am currently importing all of the items (forms, tables, menus, macros - the lot) from the problematic databasse into a blank one, in the hope that this will fix things. This is either taking an extremely long time or the process is hanging. Does anyone know how long this typically takes and what 'Task Manager' should say is happening? The db is 42.5Mb, if that makes a difference.

The above are the only suggestions I've been able to find.

1) Is there anything else that I can try to fix this?

2) What has happened to start causing this problem? I've run through suggested things like suddenly closing the db incorrectly, opening it using another application, etc. and none of these apply.

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
Yes. It takes a while, but no errors.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:12
I've had to do that a time or two, with a very large (30Mb) database. Trouble is when I do it, it often fails to import everything all at once, so I end up having to do it in stages, saving as I go. I don't know whether you get that.

It was orgiinally an A97 DBS, that I progressed to Access 2003. It should recompile back to A97, as there is nothing fancy in it, but whenever I try to do it, I get one or two forms that will not convert back. These will not let me open them to look at the design. Certain one of them will run, but others won't even do that.

Must be something to do with large DBS's.

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks both.

2 hours later, the import finished and it appears(?) to have done the trick. I've made a note of the links, in case it reoccurs.

Still, if it worked properly all the time, where would the fun be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom