• I am creating a new home page for this site, where the focus will be on directing people to the forums. If you would like to provide a testimonial, I would be most grateful. The thread where this is discussed can be found here: Seeking Testimonials Alternatively, just private message me.

Access on Remote Desktop Connection - Connection and Corruption Problems (1 Viewer)

ipdev

Local time
Today, 16:38
Hi, some networking expertise is needed here I think.
  • Access 2016
  • Windows 10
  • Windows Remote Desktop Connection ("RDC")
  • GlobalProtect VPN
  • MS Access running on a remote virtual PC ("VPC")
  • frontend and backend accdb files saved on the same, remote network server
  • frontend linked to tables in backend using UNC notation
NB the user is not running Access on their local workstation, it is being run on the remote VPC; the user is only using their local workstation to run the RDC.

We're seeing an increase in corruption of the backend accdb. Is there any way the user's Internet connection being unstable could cause the remote LAN connection between the frontend and backend to be affected, possibly leading to corruption?

Sounds like a stupid question I know, but I need to rule it out.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:38
Hi. What is the Build Number of your Windows 10?

ipdev

Local time
Hi.

On the VPC
1596038732910.png

On the user's PC
1596038784660.png

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
In theory, the answer to your question is no, as there is no actual data being moved between the remote user and your Access application, simply screen images.

Do you have more than one user accessing the front end at a time?

The_Doc_Man

Happy Retired Curmudgeon and Occasional Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:38
Are all of your users running the same physical copy of the FE? I.e. do they ALL point to the same folder for the FE?

If so, this is a file access conflict and a case of destructive interference ("left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.")

Using RDC to control Access is an OK idea but sharing an FE via that method is NOT. If your users can log in to separate folders on the server where they are visiting, put a copy of the FE in each such folder. Have them run their private copies.

Particularly if there is a form that each one is most likely to use, that will be the culprit. Worse would be a table or query that they can directly touch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom