Annual subscription requirement process (1 Viewer)

Phredd

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:57
I have designed a database and would like to restrict access based on a subscription.

If they have entered a validation code, then the database opens. If not it drops to an error message. Code then keeps working until the specified time (12 months) then will require a new validation code. There also needs to be a way for me to generate this code. :(

Can anyone head me in the correct direction for this.

thx

Phredd

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:57
depends how secure you want it to be - users could change system date for example to 'stay within' the validation period. And are you concerned about users sending a copy of the app to someone else to work off the same subscription? - or just sending them the validation code?

Usual way to create a validation code would be to hash some values together (such as a date, perhaps the computer name) (plenty of examples out there) but your app would need to decode this to extract the values to determine if still within the validation period- so a) the hashed value needs to be stored somewhere and b) your decoding code needs to be secure so users cannot see how that is done.

Where to store the hashed value? perhaps in a table, perhaps a property of the db, perhaps in the registry or a text file somewhere. Or perhaps you have a web page somewhere the app connects to on first open to check validation

If you need to generate the code, then values such as computer name won't be available to you so perhaps create a random number.

And how do you propose to renew the subscription? user sends you an email? you send them one reminding them the subscription is about to expire?

Phredd

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:57
I really only need something basic. High security is not a concern. What ever is easiest for a new player to setup.

Ideally the same code can be used on every installation for the 12 month period. Once expired there would need to be a single new code applied to each installation. For this reason the computer name would not work.

Interesting you say there are plenty of examples out there. I am obviously searching for the wrong thing. I have not been able to find any. I would imagine something relating to the date, however that would change with each installation. Maybe something that looks somewhere external (Website) and matches a value. (Not sure how that would work). If the value matches it opens and continues. If not it requests the new code.

If I could find any examples I would love to play.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:57
There are also services available to manage a subscription plan for Access or other software applications, or consider third-party products like this one.

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Interesting you say there are plenty of examples out there
I was referring to hashing

the problem with full examples to do what you want to do means the developer is exposing how they has done something which could put their own apps at risk - so I doubt you will find any of those.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I got a lot of information on this site and others, but I developed my solution at least 12 years ago.
Maybe search AWF for "license","licence","licencing" or "licensing"

Anyway, here's a thread I started some years ago. As others have said, all you are likely to get is general ideas, rather than a solution, and you need pretty good understanding and coding skills. I am not sure whether paid-for solutions still require code skills or not.

Securing A Database - License Key | Access World Forums (access-programmers.co.uk)

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 01:57
To my understanding, If a human can make something, another one can break it.
Look at software giants like Microsoft, Adobe, Dassault Systèmes and others.
All of their software are breached and can be used illegally. If you can't find something, it means it's not worth the effort. Not that it has a good license system.

That's why they are moving to cloud. The software is on cloud and you have to login to your account and be verified to be able to use the software.

You may be able to secure it more or less, but there's always a back door.

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I really only need something basic. High security is not a concern. What ever is easiest for a new player to setup.

In that case I suggest just encrypt the expiry date with a process that enables you convert back and store as a db property. Could be as simple as swapping year, month and day values around e.g.

encryptvalue=left(format(date+1,"yy"),1) & right(format(date,"dd"),1) & left(format(date-1,"mm"),1) & left(format(date+1,"dd"),1) & right(format(date-1,"yy"),1) & right(format(date,"mm"),1)

On app open, code decrypts the property and compares with the current date then takes appropriate action - open app or request a new license key. If no license key, app closes or perhaps you allow an extra few days grace.

Won't prevent your customer from potentially working it out then changing the property or system date. Or sending a copy to someone else.

But easy enough for you to send a new license key when required

Clearly the app will need to be a .accde so you will need to cater for users on different versions of access. i.e. 2007 may not open a 2010 or later db and you have the 32/64bit versions to cater for as well.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:57
here is the demo.
the Code are saved in MsysCode table.
these codes are encrypted (simple encription)
the initial code is: 4V1B-I54O

you make a copy for your customer and you. so you know
which code will be on Next year.
use Decrypt(Code) to see the "real" code on MsysCode table.[/Code]

Attachments

• License.accdb
    576 KB · Views: 156

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:57
Yes, the user could change the system date but then the last update dates and the report dates and probably much of the date criteria won't work correctly. This is not something you should worry about.

Businesses tend to not steal software because they have too much to loose if they get caught. You could also go to the trouble of creating a website where the app can phone home for validation and refuse to work if confirmation isn't received. You may have to get the user's permission on installation to authorize this.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
^^^
and if a user changes the system date, I imagine it can cause issues with other stuff.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
It is possible to check whether the system date has been changed.
This is done by comparing with internet time

Run the attached db first with the correct date/time
Repeat after modifying the date/time - the app will be closed automatically

If used in a real app to improve security, change the messages or omit them completely.
Obviously, this approach will fail if you aren't connected to the internet

Attachments

• SystemDateChangeCheck_v3.zip
    45.4 KB · Views: 131

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom