Are you ALL awake? (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:50
Did any of you know about this?

Do any of you know that they are trying to get rid of BC and AD because they are religious terms?

I used to think of workism as some sort of distorted sexual prevention. But no, they are coming for us all.

They want to take down everything we stand for!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:50
This has been going on for some time. Now we have to use CE (common era) and BCE (before common era)

They also took Greenwich out of world time so you Britts should be personally offended.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:50
Microsoft solved that problem another way anyway. When you are working with dates, I think you cannot go earlier than 1 Jan 100, so you are automatically in CE terms with date fields.

JonXL

Local time
This is hardly new - been like this for years in many circles.

Also, who "stands for" date terminology? Seems an odd hill to die on...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. They are now trying to take our children. That's what not standing up against the stupid politically correct stuff has gotten us.

GaP42

Local time
Today, 11:50
Seems an extreme viewpoint - CE / BCE has been in common usage for many years particularly in the scientific and academic area. So the enemy is who? And they are trying to take our children? I hope that is a joke.

GaP42

Local time
Today, 11:50
No problem - as an atheist, I enjoy christmas with family - the name / label means little to me.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Every unusual or special day needs a name and I have no trouble with traditions. My family is mixed in their depth of faith so we just avoid getting into religious arguments and enjoy the fellowship part of the holiday. No trouble. Any excuse to have family over for dinner and chatter.

As to the difference between BC/AD and BCE/CE, please mark me carefully. It is NOT a case of "didn't know" but IS a case of "don't care."

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:50
This is good:-

It's embarrassing when read aloud in a public space, but somebody knew this was available for little kids to read. It's important that people advocate for children. Otherwise, this behavior becomes normalized within society.

In Glendale California, a predominantly Armenian community is pushing back against the pride / LGBTQ+ messaging in public schools. Taxpayers can see the indoctrination tactics and they are fighting back, EVEN IN CALIFORNIA!

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 02:50
How would you feel about it if "Christmas" was replaced with a neutral inoffensive term?
The BBC did just about this a few years ago. At Easter from the Friday until Monday it was was referred to as the Holiday Weekend at the end of the news and before the weather forecast.
Just so as not to upset anyone who may just have been offended or very upset by the expression "this is Easter Weekend"

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I've never heard of bce and ce, silly of course but don't care much. I'll still use bc and ad, don't really care what they think

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
It is already. The christ bit is replaced by an 'x'
Col
Where??

The only time I hear people using the x is rarely, usually diehard atheists who seem oddly anxious to prove the nonexistence..

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It is the history books that are changing. No one in everyday conversation talks about BC and AD. And we don't say 2023 AD. By convention, we only refer to dates prior to Christ by using BC. Whether you are a Christian or not, the western world recognizes His life as the demarcation point. Changing the names of the two periods, is the first step to erasing Him. Every Christian should object to this. You cannot make Christ disappear because you disapprove of Him but we are allowing it to happen. One name change at a time.

The rest of the world doesn't use our Calendar so just whom are we offending?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom