Are your friends of the same political opinion as yourself? (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:05
AZ is one of the places I'm considering for retirement. Oh, and about a million other Californians...:LOL:
Sorry I know that's in bad taste.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Been there done that. Ha Ha

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Along the lines of this thread, there is a perception among native and long-term Nevadans that the California people are moving here to get away from the high costs and such that the liberal political climate there caused, but then vote for the same stuff here. 😵:unsure:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Along the lines of this thread, there is a perception among native and long-term Nevadans that the California people are moving here to get away from the high costs and such that the liberal political climate there caused, but then vote for the same stuff here. 😵:unsure:
Interesting. That seems unexpected, or ill informed of those people.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yeah we get blamed for everything, not undeserved BTW.

I could talk to people all day and never run into a NATIVE Californian, so where are all these kooks coming from?:unsure:
Asking for a friend.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Interesting. That seems unexpected, or ill informed of those people.

Which people? It certainly seems like the Californians aren't seeing cause and effect, but I guess as the expression goes a leopard doesn't change its spots. If you believe in certain things, that isn't going to change just because you move. NV was historically a pretty conservative state, but the influx of CA (and other) people to the metropolitan areas have changed things. Funny to look at a map. Hillary won about 48% of the votes in 2016, but only won in the two counties with larger cities in them. Lost all the others:

1589481394342.png

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:05
May have posted this in the other thread - incorrectly! - but it might do for both...
I didn't know this until very recently, your political persuasion is largely influenced by the construction of your brain. If you are the sort of person that uses the left hemisphere of your brain, then you are likely to be methodical, business like, scientific, organised... If you are the sort of person that uses your right hemisphere more then you are more likely to be artistic, creative, instinctive, having a good gut instinct. People with tendency to use their right Hemisphere I more likely to be liberal in their outlook.

Now I'm more of a right hemisphere person, but I was brought up in a left hemisphere household, so I'm a bit conflicted! I'm the sort of person that sits on the fence, and for a long time I thought it was a weakness, although I do get much enjoyment playing Devil's Advocate with people and also switching position.

My biggest gripe with politics used to be that one party gets in and undo's everything the previous party did at great expense! Then they switch over and the same thing happens again and again and again... But I now realise that this flip-flopping, causes something useful to happen there's an average, the political spectrum moves to the left and then back to the right and then to the left and then back to the right and down through the middle you have a Centre Line where things are about right.

I tend to have friends on both sides of the fence, and I see the merits and problems with both approaches to politics.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:05
Then there are those people who don't appear to vote based on either hemisphere of their brains, because they so rarely use them anyway. (Why start now?)

In my D&D crowd from years ago, I was conservative but we had a couple of liberals. I got into a snit with one of the libs, though I cannot ever be truly angry with her because she was very nice to my mother at a time when Mom was slowly going downhill. Anyone who was nice to Mom was OK in my book.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Dugeons and Dragons. A multiplayer non-board game. I played a little bit in college (some years ago). Now my daughter has been playing it at her college.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Ahh, right. I've definitely heard of it but never played.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I really enjoyed it. But of course with social distancing. My daughter and her friends do it remotely now. I guess each one of the players has to have their own dice and somehow show or prove that they actually rolled what they rolled (not sure how they work that). Or they are very honest with each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom