Solved Attachments Management (1 Viewer)

mnicolas

Local time
Today, 05:49
Hello,

I am building a...request form. This request form will support roughly 5,000 plus people and will be written to a SQL table. When this form is filled out, the users would have to provide supporting documents for their request. My institution has very limited resources so I decided to move forward with Access. I wanted to know the best way to manage these attachments. Below is what I know/have tried already:

1. Used the attachment function in Access: This is not practical due to the volume of attachments and how quickly they would come. I need something sustainable and fast

2. Hyperlinks: I've built a form where the user will select a file to attach, and the form will take the file path and copy it to a location on the shared drive. The user will then name the file. They can add as many files as they like and manage them by clicking the Combobox. The ComboBox will open up the file in the Shared dive (This location is accessible but well hidden) This is my fallback plan. Sometimes our internal servers are very slow and I would prefer not to use them.

3. I tried using the same process as before with SharePoint and I was having a hard time. Not sure what I was going wrong but I kelt getting Filepath errors and I do not know how to map/add SharePoint to my network directory. A solution like this would be Ideal

I was curious to know if there are any options that I might be missing. Please keep the explanations as long as possible as I am self-taught and most likely may not have exposure to the options you might present :).

Thanks again for your help

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:49
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

I like option #2; but if you don't like that, you also have the option of storing the files in a file table in SQL Server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom