Col

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:25
Red sky at night, Victoria's alight.

How's the fires going on?

Col

The first story on the main TV news tonight in Sydney was about a bloke who had half his hand bitten off by a shark at Bondi beach. Can't remember the second story but the third was the fires. Three days ago the free to air TV was all news specials and our version of the cable Skynews was almost full time on the fires.

I think it is mainly over now but as they go into areas where the fires have subsided they expect to find a lot more dead in addition to the current figure of 180 plus.

Politically The Greens are copping a real bashing over the fires. No back burning, tree removal etc.

Over and out from Sydney

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Today, 09:25
How do these huge bush fires start?

Does it occur naturally?

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
How do these huge bush fires start?

Does it occur naturally?

Yes. But a lot are deliberately lit and this time there is talk that is it terrorist related. I think this is based on some terrorist Jihad type video.

There are a lot of fires in Australia that get very little news coverage (also hurricanes in the North) and because unlike American there is usually hardly anyone living where they happen.

I have read that the pine forest fires in America are potentially worse than the Australian fires but what changes the outcome is Australian fires often happen where there is very little water available to fight them.

Buj

Local time
There are a lot of ways a bushfire can start. Lightning strike, a bit of broken glass magnifying the sun onto leaf litter, cigarette, unmuzzled exhaust pipe... I had a grassfire start this time last year outside on my front lawn - don't know if it was someone throwing a cigarette from a passing car, or an old tractor letting sparks out of the exhaust. Either way, if I hadn't been home at the time it would've been bad news.

Flare ups were still posing a threat this morning. Check out the Australian Broadcasting Commission's website for news.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 01:25
Is it true that a la San Francisco , Australia hasn't counted the abo deaths cos they in popular aussie opinion flambeed themselves. Or is that just another Ruddy lie?

The bloodwood and the desert oak
Holden wrecks and boiling diesels
Steam in forty five degrees

The time has come
To say fairs fair
To pay the rent
To pay our share
The time has come
A facts a fact
It belongs to them
Lets give it back

How can we dance when our earth is turning
How do we sleep when our beds are burning

I do see Australia has signed up to Kyoto of sorts and maybe you can't anymore?

I have to say Rudd reminded me somewhat of Blair when Diana dies a little, when talking about these fires. I do hope the insurance can cover the spending stimulus the Rudd economy requires.

Last edited:

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
The fires are the worst in our history (and we've had some doozies). Cause is
a) several years of drought
b) several weeks of heatwave (up to 47c)
c) Eucalyptus oil (from the gum trees) is relatively volatile
d) Poor forest management (hazard reduction)

Add them together + a few lunatic arsonists, and this disaster occurs.

The 'good' news is the response of the rest of Australia (and the rest of the world) So far have raised $100million in relief funds - not bad for a country of 21 million.

Most heartening I think are sizeable donations from Indonesia (who we have never had good relations) and New Guinea. It is nice to know that charity doesn't only go rich to poor (although that is the way it should mostly go) but good deeds do actually get rewarded

Buj

Local time
Re the counting - I think that's highly unlikely.

You quote Midnight Oil... were you aware that Peter Garrett is now our Federal Minister of the Environment? I was at a folk festival recently where a Midnight Oil chorus had been 'tweaked' to question how he could sell out so badly...

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 01:25
Isn't this a "Bush" fire? So I assume that former President Bush started it, of course (had to the be the Americans behind this dastardly deed). :D

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Isn't this a "Bush" fire? So I assume that former President Bush started it, of course (had to the be the Americans behind this dastardly deed). :D

Now I think about it.....I guess he IS responsible for global warming that caused the heatwave - it's all so clear now

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Now I think about it.....I guess he IS responsible for global warming that caused the heatwave - it's all so clear now
Well they are responsible for 25% of the world's global warming pollution with just 8% of the world's population:rolleyes:

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Well they are responsible for 25% of the world's global warming pollution with just 8% of the world's population:rolleyes:

I'll have you know we are quite capable of producing our own greenhouses gasses thank you very much!

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
I'll have you know we are quite capable of producing our own greenhouses gasses thank you very much!
Are they drifting over Texas, or wherever the idiot Bush now lives?

Buj

Local time
Hi Bob, yes, if you look at a map of the fires and squint you can just make out a big "W" :)

Rich - here in Australia we have the unenviable achievement of the world's highest per capita emissions. Other countries may beat us out on total volume, but on a personal level, no-one beats the average Australian.

Yes, we finally ratified Kyoto, but just recently Prime Minister Rudd, who was voted in on, among other things, his "green" credentials, set a tiny 5% emissions reduction, target AND said he wouldn't do anything like commit to a 20% cut even if other countries did. Innovators, we are.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Bob, have you been taking advice from Colin on this? I always knew you could be friends :D

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Rich - here in Australia we have the unenviable achievement of the world's highest per capita emissions. Other countries may beat us out on total volume, but on a personal level, no-one beats the average Australian.

Its all those barbies.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom