Australian Fires (1 Viewer)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 14:18
Hi Bob, yes, if you look at a map of the fires and squint you can just make out a big "W" :)

Rich - here in Australia we have the unenviable achievement of the world's highest per capita emissions. Other countries may beat us out on total volume, but on a personal level, no-one beats the average Australian.

Yes, we finally ratified Kyoto, but just recently Prime Minister Rudd, who was voted in on, among other things, his "green" credentials, set a tiny 5% emissions reduction, target AND said he wouldn't do anything like commit to a 20% cut even if other countries did. Innovators, we are.

People burning down the local Big Ws, ;-) probably doesn't help the per capita emissions.
I did know the Midnight Oil, Peter Garret? was in the government. With a environmental record like Australias its a worry. But its easy to sing a song about it and tougher to make the ploitcal decsions to make it happen. Australia record is though extremely poor, and for one of the richest countries on the planet, it has no excuse either. Frankly I don't know why other countries allow it.

I hope that they have caught the right guy in Vic. Its one of those cases were I don't think its going to be allowed for noone to be held to account. I just hope they haven't picked up the local weirdo and wrongly assumed his guilt.

statsman

Local time
Today, 17:18
I understand the bloke they have charged with setting the Aussie fires used to be a volunteer fireman.

Are you sure this wasn't a government "make work" project gone astray? :D

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:18
I understand the bloke they have charged with setting the Aussie fires used to be a volunteer fireman.

Are you sure this wasn't a government "make work" project gone astray? :D

I don't think our government is that clever! Actually, this is not a rare occurance (I seem to remember the US having a similar case in their recent fires). As most of the fire fighters are volunteers, it would be pretty difficult to filter out these loons when they present themselves as having such high civic motives

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 14:18

Are you sure this wasn't a government "make work" project gone ashtray? :D

Ashtray ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom