AutoExpand on ComboBox seems broken (1 Viewer)

access-denied

Local time
Today, 15:50
I observed that on Windows 11, 32 bit Microsoft 365 Access (mdb) Auto Expand on combo box works random. Sometimes it shows autocompletion, sometimes not, and usually the cutoff is about the 100th line. The issue seems to be related to Windows 11, as on the same Access build Auto Expands fine on Windows Server from Azure.

To reproduce, I created a tblDelme1 with 1000 names from 1000randomnames (can't post link as a new member), and in a form placed a ComboBox with Row Source
Code:
select distinctrow * from tblDelme1 order by Field1
. Artuo Walters is auto expanded, Aryan Nichols - not. Arturo Walters happens to be the 100th item in the recordsource (after sorting), Aryan Nichols is 101st. If I press Tab after I've written 'ary', the name auto expands as supposed to.

Auto Expand works fine if the dropdown is forced OnChage with .Dropdown, but I am trying to avoid this solution as my application has 10s of dropdowns like this.

I've compiled, decompiled, compacted, restarted many times. Dereferenced and referenced references.

1697961805563.png

1697961821770.png

1697961834088.png

1697961850982.png

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:50
Do you mean mdb? Might have an impact?

access-denied

Local time
Yes, this is a MDB database, both frontend and backend.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:50
There is a setting that I believe is part of the registry for Access (therefore machine-specific) that limits the number of records displayed in a combo box. I don't know if that would affect this particular problem, but check the File >> Options >> Current Database settings box. You might have to browse around in that area as it is a long list of options.

I admit this is a guess and it might not be this problem, but it is easy enough to check and either dismiss or fix.

access-denied

Local time
There is a setting that I believe is part of the registry for Access (therefore machine-specific) that limits the number of records displayed in a combo box. I don't know if that would affect this particular problem, but check the File >> Options >> Current Database settings box. You might have to browse around in that area as it is a long list of options.

I admit this is a guess and it might not be this problem, but it is easy enough to check and either dismiss or fix.
This did not work, but thank you for this suggestion. Maybe you are referring to the "Don't display lists..." option in Current Database? Anyway, I played around with Current Database and Client Settings, and looked into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office . Nothing helped, restarted Access after each change. Excellent suggestion though!
1697984123159.png

Last edited:

mike7352

Local time
I have this exact problem in Windows 11 but have noticed that the 100 row limit with autoexpand in a combo box appears to only be a bug in subform combo boxes. When I have a combobox with more than 100 rows in a main form, all rows appear.

I also am using .accdb frontend, not .mdb. Curious @access-denied, you mentioned you're using a 32-bit installation of Access. Have you tried this with 64-bit? I have not yet.

Thank you @access-denied for your suggestion to just add the .Dropdown property in an OnChange event. I wouldn't have thought to do that, but that is a sufficient workaround for now and really appreciate that suggestion.

access-denied

Local time
I have this exact problem in Windows 11 but have noticed that the 100 row limit with autoexpand in a combo box appears to only be a bug in subform combo boxes. Thank you @Access
I'm afraid this happens for both subforms and forms. Actually the form I showed above is a normal form, not a subform.

mike7352

Local time
Sorry, I edited my original post right after your replied.

Have you tried this in a 64-bit installation of Office? My InfoSec department locks that down, but curious if you might be able to test that.

Also, how can we report this to Microsoft as a bug? I have never done that before but this is not something that should persist for future releases. It's just a nuissance, but Autoexpand has worked just fine for 25 years.

access-denied

Local time
Haven't tried on 64 bit, and don't think I could try it soon. I kind of assumed it was my mistake, and there was a new setting or some simple workaround.

I suppose we can use the Contact Us item to tell them about a problem. Never tried before, as you said, the Auto Expand used to work fine before, so nothing to report :) Good old times.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 05:50
I have started to see one or two similar reports recently. Can you provide a screenshot showing the build you have installed?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
I have started to see one or two similar reports recently. Can you provide a screenshot showing the build you have installed?
Also, a sample accdb illustrating the problem (using dummy data, of course) can prove helpful. Thank you.

access-denied

Local time
@GPGeorge Thank you for your interest in this issue.

I'm afraid I forgot to get the Windows 11 precise version. The following is the Office version. I am also attaching an archive with both accdb and mdb demonstrate the problem. The data is simulated. For steps to reproduce, refer to my first post.

1699704102939.png

Attachments

• test-autoexpand.zip
    78.1 KB · Views: 64

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Thank you. Unfortunately, this accdb does not exhibit the same problem behavior on my MS365 installation.
1699707997596.png

I will pass this long to MS anyway to see what they say.

access-denied

Local time
I'm on 64 bit Windows 11, 22H2. Updated to 23H3 - same thing. Noticed that @GPGeorge has MSO Version 2311, while I am on 2310, and Windows Update is telling me there is nothing to update.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Two of the other reports indicate they are using a version of MS 365 for Education. Would that apply to yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom