best practice for multiple drop down flds (1 Viewer)

jedder18

Just Livin the Dream!
Local time
Today, 08:13
Client is asking for analysis of data.
Have numerous fields holding said data, most contain drop downs, some are yes/no
I start with 1 qry grabbing all client ID's with all the populated fields.
CLient is asking for a totla(e.g. languages being spoken, as well as nbr of males/females speaking said language)
other examples: geographic data, etc
I already have count queries running for each field in the table for daily use, but, client needs all together to show %....what pct race, religion...all that fun stuff.
What is best way to show this.
Tried doing a crosstab, but, seems really messy with so many fields.
Union query? dump all info into excel and let them sort it out :)
any suggestions?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. If the list of requirements is short and known in advance, you could probably stick with Access. But if the requirements depend on daily needs based on unforeseen situations, then maybe you can give them the data in Excel and let them manipulate it themselves. If the requirements are dynamic but known in advance, you could potentially create a form to dynamically create the data statistics and display it on a form or chart.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 11:13
I would think you can build a report with a lot of different subforms. Subform 1 would simply by counts by language. Subform 2 would be pretty group by languages and sex.
Sub 3 is group by race and percent of total. Sub 4 is religion.

jedder18

Just Livin the Dream!
Local time
I was thinking of the subforms too. Had a similar report way back when. It will be a lot of them though and trying to grab all the totals to come up with % of ex: swf in dom violence, etc
sometimes people think we have an easy button :cool:
It's a lot of data to try to mesh together.
Thanks for all the replies.

deletedT

Local time
Today, 15:13
If it was me, I would create a query and link the query to a pivot table in Excel (as suggested above by TheDBGuy). Pivot table is a very strong tool that can manage all you want and will give you more than Access queries do. With several drag and drop you can have different results. You can also have several charts in Excel that are based on the pivot table.

jedder18

Just Livin the Dream!
Local time
I'm thinking Excel is best way to go here too.
Way too many fields to query on if they need analysis between 2 and 3 at a time.

Thanks for reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom