Black Friday (1 Viewer)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 14:46
Can K Mart legally do what they did, in this country they would lose an employment tribunal case on constructive dismissal and have to pay compensation.

Brian

Welcome to the world of at-will employment, where your employer can terminate you for anything that's not either retaliatory or discriminatory (and usually even then as long as they document 'issues').

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 19:46
I don't recognise the term at-will employment and I don't like the sound of it. There are times when I'm glad that I lived my life when I did. Despite being born during a terrible war with its deprivations I reckon I lived during a golden age.

Brian

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
It's been around a while - apparently since the late 1800's. It basically means that the employer can fire you at will for any reason whatsoever - including "I just felt like it" - as long as they don't violate non-retaliation and non-discrimination laws.

The one that's new is "right to work", which does NOT mean what it sounds like.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
So the At-will operates both ways and is actually a form of contract with no protection for either side.

Brian

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
In theory. You should read the controversy section of the linked article, though - it's really not as clear-cut your summation makes it sound. For example, at-will makes it perfectly acceptable (legally) to terminate someone with zero notice whatsoever without cause. This happens a lot, and always gets folks' attention when it happens, say, Christmas Eve.

Seriously - imagine walking in to work one morning, and your boss meeting you at the door saying, "So sorry, Brian, but we're letting you go. Here's the box with your stuff in it. Have a nice day."

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I don't like it and would have done my best not to be employed under such terms, I see it being a bit one sided in practice to put it mildly.
I and everybody else in the IT department 50 and over was called into the managers office and told clear your desk and goodbye, apparently we were to old for retraining. However because of our employment terms we actually retired on enhanced pensions and with a handy lump sum. To have nothing must be hell.

Brian

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Yeah, if you're in a career path that requires actual written contracts, you will generally get to include clauses that, while not protecting you from at-will termination, at least soften the blow with a severance package. Of course, they also tend to come with clauses including things like the repayment of moving assistance if you quit too soon, non-compete clauses, voiding of the severance if you quit, things like that. (And they are understandable clauses, too, although most non-competes are written WAY too broadly to be enforcable.) If you try to argue against at-will, they break out paid-for-study after paid-for-study indicating that profits go down when you have to show cause to terminate an employee.

Probably 95% of Americans, however, are stuck with straight-up at-will employment with no protections at all. And even then, some employers go out of their way to abuse it.

Hell, Wal-Mart makes any hourly employee who works 40 hours sign a waiver that week indicating that they agree that they are not full time, that that 40 hour week is not their standard work week, and that they waive any and all claims to benefits arising from full-time employment for that particular week. (One of my best friends is dating a Wal-Mart employee, and she has to sign that nearly every week.) It's 100% illegal, but it's not like you can successfully sue them.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:46
Hell, Wal-Mart makes any hourly employee who works 40 hours sign a waiver that week indicating that they agree that they are not full time, that that 40 hour week is not their standard work week, and that they waive any and all claims to benefits arising from full-time employment for that particular week. (One of my best friends is dating a Wal-Mart employee, and she has to sign that nearly every week.) It's 100% illegal, but it's not like you can successfully sue them.

Can you be more specific on that, Please

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Our Black "Friday" lasted all weekend (The deals) Which I think sort of nullifies the Friday statement.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
A friend of mine experienced the ultimate idiocy.
He is a manager of a department store and arriving early on Friday to open up was surprised to see queues, and when he opened they charged in and started buying as if there was no tomorrow.

THE STORE HAD NO DISCOUNTS AND NO ADVERTS SAYING THEY DID.

Brian

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Hope he didn't get trampled too much.

I wouldn't say idiocy would be the term.

Desperation would fit the bill I would say.

People tend to think this time of year, Businesses have bear shelves. (That's disregarding Black Friday added on)

Add Black Friday to the mix and you have people thinking we will plummet into having nothing on the shelves for Christmas.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:46
there is one word that fits Black Friday:

pandemonium

[ ˌpandəˈmōnēəm ]

noun

noun: pandemonium

wild and noisy disorder or confusion; uproar:
"pandemonium broke out"
synonyms: bedlam · chaos · mayhem · uproar · turmoil ·

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Read in the paper that here in the UK sales are going to be even worse this weekend than last one (The desperate Black Friday one) which is obviously going to be fun.

and I need to do some christmas shopping!

Wish me luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom