Buy someone a coffee (1 Viewer)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:36
I suppose that's less intrusive, but there would still be the perception that I'm asking/hoping for cash if that link is on my profile. Of course, I might be losing my job this year and need the money. :devilish:

• Wow
Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:36
I have a slightly different view. Everybody has it on their profile and they have no say in it! So no member has the impression that they are hoping for cash, because its a site feature rather than personal choice. But you might have a point, I don't know.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Hmmm...idea of optional PayPal button on your profile. If you abstain but see Uncle smoking big fat cigars and cruising in his pimped wheels, you might change your mind!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Harder to implement. If someone clicks it, how do you know who to apply the donation to?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:36
why not let the widget make a donation to AWF instead
So we do the work, the OP gets a solution (which is great) and Jon gets the cash? I have no problem with Jon earning a living from his efforts but from mine? Sorry, I'm here to help the OP and it's OK if that helps AWF and Jon indirectly. Nothing personal, OK?

IMO you will never please everyone with this unless they are the ones getting rewarded. If that becomes the norm, then who picks out the recipient when members start trashing each others answers? That happens now and nobody's getting paid.

Even if you say the reward goes to charity, then who picks the charities? It would not surprise me if someone said "I don't want that charity getting any donation on my behalf because that charity wasn't there when my friend/family/I needed them." I have encountered this before when trying to do good.

You know what they say - "If it ain't broke..."

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
That is why I said it would feel like I am snatching their donation out of your wallet. Rather, I would prefer it to go to the person who directly provided the help.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Nice head of hair there Uncle!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I should stick a donate button on the top right corner of the site or something, just for site donations. I think lots of forums do that nowadays. But this idea was just a means for someone who thinks this: "That guy really saved my bacon. I owe him! I've given him a Like, but want to buy him a beer as well." Like I say, tricky.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Change it to "Buy me a Dr Pepper" and I'm in! :D

Kidding, I'm still worried about the perception of "answers for cash". Would a charity be a viable option? One or more well-rated charities with world-wide reach.
Make Mine a Moxie

s-l300.jpg

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I could have a combo box.

Buy me a:
  • Espresso
  • Large latte
  • Beer
  • Large Wine
  • Cocktail
  • Ticket to the superbowl
  • Holiday for two
  • Laptop
  • Rolls
Then they can take their pick. You might get a billionaire in here for kicks, and gets a good answer. You never know!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I got the Rolls in there. Let me add the Private Jet.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:36
Putting it on someones Profile page might get around that completely, what do you think?
That's the best idea so far.

I'm not sure about this whole idea. (My reaction to the original post was mostly for the post being funny.)

It's nice to have a simple option to show some appreciation to someone who helped for free.

OTOH, it will at least have some technical implications, though. Paying with PayPal is fairly easy, but this requires the person (supposed to be) receiving the money needs to have a PayPal account too.

Technicalities aside, will it be a disappointment for someone, who put in a lot of effort into helping, not receiving any coffee?
If multiple people helped someone who should get rewarded (how much) and who not (so much)? How to quantify?
This is an international forum. Someone's coffee might be someone else's hourly wage. - Will this have implications?

Yes, lot's of questions. - I'm afraid I have no answers, yet.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
It was my suggestion to move away from rewarding individuals and towards offsetting the cost of maintaining the site. I have no idea what it costs to host one and if the cost is offset in other ways, then disregard

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
(My reaction to the original post was mostly for the post being funny.)
I'm glad someone gets my humour! :p

Technicalities aside, will it be a disappointment for someone, who put in a lot of effort into helping, not receiving any coffee?
This is one of the key issues.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
In common with many others, I have a Donate button on my website which, understandably, only occasionally gets clicked. When someone does so, I always email them to say thanks no matter how small the amount. Recently someone paid me £50 via the Donate button which was so unexpected I actually asked if it was a mistake and intended as payment for one of my apps. The benefactor was adamant it was gratitude for the many free apps and code. I doubt that will happen again in the near future!

Anyway, on a serious note, I would hate to see this site become anything like Experts Exchange where money appears to be the primary factor. As most people seem to be put off when visiting EE, I would be interested to know if the EE site generates much income and who that goes to.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It was my suggestion to move away from rewarding individuals and towards offsetting the cost of maintaining the site. I have no idea what it costs to host one and if the cost is offset in other ways, then disregard
I understand where (Edit: Minty) @Micron is coming from if he did the work and I got paid. To me, just a Donate button top right of the forum might be a more independent solution.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The paid memberships are on my list of things to offer, but I'm not sure what they could include. On the old site, we had a few paying members, but they were low in number.

I would imagine that with Experts Exchange, the site owner takes a share of whatever the expert charges. It is a bit like my Amazon business, where products I sell get hit by all sorts of fees. I get charged 15% fee for having my product on there, then another fee for them picking and shipping the product. There is a monthly fee too to just sell on there. You end up with nothing. I don't know why I bother! :LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom