Buy someone a coffee (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:38
To be clear, I think there is a distinct difference between a site where someone has a "Buy me a coffee" button on a profile page, and Experts Exchange where you get a list of hourly rates.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 20:38
I understand where @Minty is coming
Hmmm, I don't see a Minty post so far?
For me, the quagmire is you can't divide $ between 2 or more who/where
- come up with the same answer
- post within seconds (minute?) between each other with a solution
- one leads another to the solution by i) extracting more info that leads to a solution ii) clarifying a point
- and so on
I suspect it will bring about arguments like "my idea is correct, your idea is crap because...". You only need to look at some of the disagreements that exist to see that. Who makes the decision in the case of a dispute - the OP who may not understand the nuances of either suggestion?

If I liked my suggestion better but it wasn't the one that won the OP's favour I wouldn't care if a charity was the beneficiary.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Edited my post to attribute to you, @Micron. Was a typo.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:38
In common with many others, I have a Donate button on my website which, understandably, only occasionally gets clicked. When someone does so, I always email them to say thanks no matter how small the amount. Recently someone paid me £50 via the Donate button which was so unexpected I actually asked if it was a mistake and intended as payment for one of my apps. The benefactor was adamant it was gratitude for the many free apps and code. I doubt that will happen again in the near future!
Why do you doubt this? You seem to have a nice little gig going.

Anyway, on a serious note, I would hate to see this site become anything like Experts Exchange where money appears to be the primary factor. As most people seem to be put off when visiting EE, I would be interested to know if the EE site generates much income and who that goes to.
Driven by money or little green dots, its all the same to me. "AB's on the road to greatness" or he has 48 points. dot dot dot

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi AB

As well as several commercial apps, my website has had a Donate button on the free parts of the site for at least 4 years.
Prior to that event, it had never had a donation of more than £5 before.

Overall I make a profit but certainly not enough to live on through Access development work alone.
It would be wonderful if my Access work alone provided a decent income but that it seems isn't realistic at the moment

I've added a Like to help you slightly towards your next trophy points

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I wonder what the troll thinks? :unsure:

[Runs for cover...] :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
will it be a disappointment for someone, who put in a lot of effort into helping, not receiving any coffee?

Well no, I don't think so because most people do it because they like doing it. In a way you are educating yourself. By taking on the challenge of answering a question which may be slightly out of your envelope you learn something. The fact that there is always someone around who knows more than you do, that's not a reason not to post, that's a good reason to post. It enables you to take your skills up a level in a nice safe and understanding environment. Mind you there are one or two who are very competitive and want to demonstrate their skills for there own ego satisfaction. I think we know who they are!

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
This is an international forum. Someone's coffee might be someone else's hourly wage. -

This is why I always have a free option, there's always some guy somewhere working for $5 a week. I post the code trapped inside a YouTube video, then they can justify eeking it out, where as someone earning $100 an hour is quite happy to pay a few shillings for a nice handy little sample database to play with.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There is much research that supports giving is better than receiving.

The fact that there is always someone around at knows more than you do, that's not a reason not to post, that's a good reason to post. It enables you to take your skills up a level in a nice safe and understanding environment.

I agree. Let us not punish those who get 1 in 10 replies right. Let them grow into the skilled helpers they hope to be!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Technicalities aside, will it be a disappointment for someone, who put in a lot of effort into helping, not receiving any coffee?

Only to answer this question and not Pat myself on the back (believe that if you like) Yes, I am always disappointed when I put in what I consider the best answer and someone else gets the praise, it's just the same thing, if they got a coffee , I'd still be just as pissed off but I don't think I would begrudge them a coffee, I might put something in it if I got a chance!

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Let us not punish those who get 1 in 10 replies right.

I know when I first started I made loads of mistakes! luckily Woody's Access Lounge was very supportive... Even recall their logo was a crocodile?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Woody's Access Lounge...now that sounds very familiar. What is that Uncle?

I made loads of mistakes on clients premises, and still got paid for it!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I must say, I think sonic8 made some really good observations..

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
No one would know who got the coffee, unless the donator specifically mentioned it in the thread.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Woody's Access Lounge

Woody's Lounge was a set of forums for the different Microsoft products. It shut down for some reason, and that's when I joined Access World Forums AWF.. Charlotte Foust was a member there, and she posted a lot of really good stuff. I think she wrote some Microsoft books as well. And there was Mark Liquorman who was a Woody's moderator I believe.

Here's a YouTube video by Mark!

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The name is deep routed in my brain, but just couldn't recall it.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 20:38
es, I am always disappointed when I put in what I consider the best answer and someone else gets the praise,
If you mean the same answer and you are first with that answer but don't get the credit, then I agree. We've probably all said "do this" at least once and 7 posts later, someone comes a long and says "do this" and the OP replies "THANKS, (second one to suggest that)!" If you felt miffed about not getting recognition, imagine how you'd feel :mad: if you missed out on some tangible reward because of that.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:38
I've added a Like to help you slightly towards your next trophy points
Let me say thank you, if I could donate my points, trophy's or dots I would. I would give them to people who could use them, I have no idea how you could use them but that's besides the point. 📗📗📗📗

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom