Can I use my shared drive (1 Viewer)

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:15
I have a shared drive at work, but I don't know the network topology. I do know there is no wireless involved. How can I determine if it is okay to use to store the backend? Can I tell simply by pinging it and checking the response time? Should I build a test that writes a new record over and over? If so, how would I check for errors or hang-ups in the write process?

Thanks

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:15
If you can see the network drive and files with Windows Explorer, you should be able to use it to store your back end.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Of course I can, but I'm asking because I don't know the network topology. Basically, I don't know how far away the shared drive is. The backend should not be stored on a WAN, or so I've read. I've had issues before doing this that would cause Access to get hung up. I tried a traceroute, but I only have a unc path, and it doesnt seem to work with traceroute.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:15
if its local, it will work all right. if its at a remote site it probably won't.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Is there no way for me to tell the difference?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:15
Stating the obvious here:

Most likely this is a secure network (possibly Gov.) , and you have not been granted the right permissions. Sometimes you can see the network layout, but clicking into a server or workstation will not fly. It will simply go grey.

If you have the right permissions and you have apps already on the server, programs like MS Studio or SQL Express can assist you around the maze.

Other then that, you have to plead your case like the rest of us.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom