Can moderators purge spam and block spam posters? (1 Viewer)

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:48
I know the spam pushers could create new accounts to post more crap, but htat would be an effort and they may give up if quickly deleted and blocked?

Dowel has flooded the forum with spam this am so he/she could be purged with out much concern for their feelings I would say.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 09:48
All removed.

I'd love just to be able to ban the domains/IP addresses of these spammers but only our admin in absentia has access to such features of the forum software.

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks SJ.

Can I ask, is there any merit in using the warning triangle to report spam postings etc? Or does it just make me feel better?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Common sense would dictate that if a post offers phones / gifts or anything that looks iffy - just ignore it. You can see it via the tooltip without even opening the thread. Its not that difficult:rolleyes:

Col

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Keith Nichols said:
Can I ask, is there any merit in using the warning triangle to report spam postings etc? Or does it just make me feel better?

Please use them. I don't get to visit the site much at the moment so any hint that there's spam (since I get an email when you hit the triangle) means I can come along, remove it, and ban the user.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 10:48
Stewart,

As posted in another tread, what is this boardtracker thing.
Does it trail someone's activities per site or what ?
Shouldn't it be blocked .

Cheers, Ron

Last edited:

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
You can see it via the tooltip without even opening the thread. Its not that difficult:rolleyes:

Col

Hi Colin,

You're right that you can decline to open spam. The problem is that if the posters are encouraged in any way, they may flood the site to the point that it becomes unusable for the intended purpose. Whoever 'Dowel' is posted some half a dozen adverts. If he/she wasn't discouraged by being blocked, there might be an ongoing escalation.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 03:48
Hey Keith, I see your "jello" is back in the green. :D

RV

Registered User.
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
Hey Keith, I see your "jello" is back in the green. :D

He's still an unknown quantity though :D

RV

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
rak,

BoardTracker would seem to be a site that catalogues what's being said on a number of forums, giving users the chance to search across them all. In short, a search engine specifically for forum content.

The BoardTracker site states this. There's also a post about it on The Admin Zone.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Stewart,

It seems that it's more than a forum content search engine. I do support the con's that are given in the Admin zone thread on this subject.
I feel that AWF should be removed from Boardtracker, but would value other members ( and the owner) opinion.

Cheers, Ron

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Ultimately, it's Jon's call. Doubt he even knows about it.

But, in fairness, none of our forums here are hidden away only to be found once you've joined. As such, nobody is losing out.

Brian1960

Brian1960
Local time
Links as Adverts

Hi, Does advertising include links like ... Football (UK)?
Which by the way does not work!!:D
And should it just be Glasgow Football!!!
B

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
Yeah, he still has some work to do. :D

RV / Mrs. Gorilla,

Well, some people obviously take notice of the 'jello' (jelly to our British readers).

I am very happy to be an 'unknown quantity' and regard that as a significant step on the path to forum forgiveness.

From minus 10 to +4 in a couple of weeks - somebody must be appreciating my posts, or perhaps I am just not pissing people off so much anymore. Anyway, thanks for pointing it out as I hadn't noticed - honest! :D

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Brian1960 said:
Hi, Does advertising include links like ... Football (UK)?
Which by the way does not work!!:D

To be honest, Jon has stated that he was reconsidering the rule around signatures. I decided to give it a push in the right direction - it's unenforcable.

As for the link, cheers. The guy who ran the site cancelled it because a) he couldn't afford to run it; and b) like most sites of late, it was inundated with spammers.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 01:48
SJ McAbney said:
To be honest, Jon has stated that he was reconsidering the rule around signatures. I decided to give it a push in the right direction - it's unenforcable.

Just my 2¢, but I do think it's quite enforcable. The catch is that you need administrators.

I'm member of another forum, and they keep the ship tight run, with very clean display and almost immediate banning of spammers and locking of useless threads. However, there's four (five?) administrators, four or so moderators, which explains why it's so well run.

Could at least encourage Jon to consider giving moderator admin privileges if we want the site to run smoothly.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
I know, but since he doesn't even respond to emails, it's a waiting game until he decides to pop back one day. :(

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 01:48
Surely his firm's phone numbers/physical address is listed somewhere? After all, the forums seems to be linked with access-programmers.co.uk?

Like This?

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom