Solved Cannot Export Customized Ribbon. (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:34
Thanks for the feedback

I've not heard of any previous reports about any of the info being inaccurate, so I'd like to follow up your comment on the Windows version.
Most of the info is taken from various registry keys
Please can you tell me the registry value of the ProductName key in
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\

A screenshot would be helpful. Thanks

EDIT:
I only have an evaluation version of Windows 11 on a VM
I've just checked that key in the registry & it says Windows 10 Pro!
In fact there are no registry keys with a value Windows 11!

Last edited:

HillTJ

To train a dog, first know more than the dog..
Local time
Today, 02:34
@isladogs , I cannot find that path. I copied/Pasted into file explorer & got zero. I had a look manually. Same. Could it be hidden or something?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
No. You need to look in the registry...not File Explorer
Go to Start and click Run then type Regedit. The registry editor opens.
Navigate through the treeview to find the key I mentioned and check the value
For example, on this machine I have Windows 10 Home
1665904051657.png

NOTE Do NOT alter any of the registry settings

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
It is indeed. As you can see its reporting your version as Windows 10 Home though the taskbar icons do look like Windows 11.
Would you please do a registry search for Windows 11 using Edit => Find on the toolbar

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 22:34
It is indeed. As you can see its reporting your version as Windows 10 Home though the taskbar icons do look like Windows 11.
Would you please do a registry search for Windows 11 using Edit => Find on the toolbar
@isladogs Microsoft will not update this key from windows 10 and later. It's because allowing all apps being able to run on windows 11 too.
You have to check for DisplayVersion.
Have you seen this?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@isladogs Microsoft will not update this key from windows 10 and later. It's because allowing all apps being able to run on windows 11 too.
You have to check for DisplayVersion.
Have you seen this?

Yet another dumb decision by MS 😒
I know Win 11 is largely Win 10 with cosmetic and security changes but that's ridiculous
After all, the registry values have been updated in every version of Windows from 95 onwards!

I'm already grabbing the DisplayVersion key but doesn't help for differentiating Win 10 & Win 11.
It returns the latest update with values like 21H2 / 22H2 which are duplicated in both operating systems

Anyway, I do have alternative code that I used to use to get the OS name.
It should also work correctly in Win 11
Please copy this code to a standard module:

Code:
Public Function GetOSName() As String
    On Error GoTo Error_Handler
    Dim oWMI  As Object    'WMI object to query about the PC's OS
    Dim sWMIQuery  As String    'WMI Query
    Dim oCols As Object
    Dim oCol As Object

Set oWMI = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")
    sWMIQuery = "SELECT Caption FROM Win32_OperatingSystem"
    Set oCols = oWMI.ExecQuery(sWMIQuery)
    For Each oCol In oCols
        GetOSName = oCol.Caption
    Next

Debug.Print GetOSName

Exit_Handler:
    On Error Resume Next
    Set oCols = Nothing
    Set oWMI = Nothing
    Exit Function

Error_Handler:
    MsgBox "Error " & Err & " in GetOSName procedure : " & Err.Description
    Resume Exit_Handler
End Function

When you run it, the name will be displayed in the immediate window e.g. Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Let me know if it works correctly. If so, I will update my version checker to use WMI

Last edited:

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 22:34
Yet another dumb decision by MS
I doubt if it is dumb.
As you explained, Windows 11 is just a graphical change to windows 10.
Many third party applications depend on that key to check for windows version at startup.
If MS had changed that key, all other third party applications had to send out a new version and in some cases it may become a paid one.
Which in turn may cause user not upgrading to win 11.

Your code runs OK on my side. It shows the correct version of windows.

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I doubt if it is dumb.
As you explained, Windows 11 is just a graphical change to windows 10.
Many third party applications depend on that key to check for windows version at startup.
If MS had changed that key, all other third party applications had to send out a new version and in some cases it may become a paid one.
Which in turn may cause user not upgrading to win 11.

Your code runs OK on my side. It shows the correct version of windows.
Even if it has advantages for Microsoft, it is a poor decision as far as end users are concerned

Anyway, I've now updated my Access/Windows version checker to fix the issue where the operating system version was being reported wrongly for Windows 11 users.
At the same time, I optimised another section of code which has significantly reduced the time needed to collect all the information to just over 1 second (previously about 12 s).

The updated version 2.68 is now available for download from my website:

Last edited:

HillTJ

Local time
@isladogs , so I searched the registry as suggested. Please see screenshot attached.

I also ran your function, which reported 'Microsoft Windows 11 Home'

Hope this helps.

Windows 11.jpg

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks
That's an area of the registry I'm not familiar with
I have the same key on my Win 10 Pro machine but its missing from my Win 11 evaluation version

As the WMI code that I used in the past still works reliably, I've reverted to use that in my version checker
The latest version also runs a lot faster as I mentioned in post #30 so it may be worth downloading that version in place of what you have now.

For info, yesterday I sent an email to the Access MVPs group about your customised ribbon export issue. No replies so far

HillTJ

Local time
@isladogs , will download the latest version of your add-in & thanks for your efforts. I cannot be the only one with this problem? Will wait & see. Once again thanks.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks. Will let you know if I get a response to your ribbon issue

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi again.
It would appear that nobody else can replicate this as an issue

I have had a response from a long-standing member of the Access development team.
He tested using Windows 11 and Access 2016 version 2209 - same as you. He wrote:

I’ve tried to reproduce this, and have been unable to do so. Saving a customized ribbon seems to work fine.

I do notice in the thread that the OP says the problem exists in Word as well, which suggests that if there is a problem, it is not specific to Access, but is part of the shared Office code.
I do not see any feedback through the in-app feedback (Send a Frown) regarding this issue, so it does not seem to be a problem many users are encountering.

It certainly wouldn't do any harm to mention it in the in-app Feedback for both Word & Access.
However, before you do so, please make sure you have run an Office repair (if not already done).
If that doesn't help, I would also suggest removing & reinstalling Office 2016

Good luck

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
O/P is having difficulty setting a simple database property in another thread, so perhaps more is going on.?

HillTJ

Local time
@isladogs, thanks. I will run an office repair. Had not thought of that. Will also try with excel just to be sure. Will keep you posted.

HillTJ

Local time
Office 365 repair did not work!

HillTJ

Local time
I got interested in custom switchboards & was playing around. I added in the 'old' switchboard manager to the ribbon. Saved it & for the heck of it had a go at exporting it. Well for some reason it did export!!. I have no Idea of what changed as i performed the same process as I'd done unsuccessfully in the past. Really odd. Case closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom