Civil Disobedience (1 Viewer)

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 14:17
Well for the last year I tried to change some of the laws in Virginia; by breaking them.

Finally I gave up and got into compliance. I guess I just got tired of putting my money where my mouth was. (It left a rotten taste).

This is one of the reasons Americans don’t like much in the way of interference from Washington.

The Federal Government in order to form a more perfect union, elected to pass laws requiring the states to use the on board computers to monitor emissions from vehicles. For the longest time we (Virginia) used a system of actually measuring emissions output with machines designed to sample the exhaust to make determinations.

The new system, whereas on the surface it would appear to be superior, has several blatant flaws. The first is that it breaks US expostfacto laws. The second is that it turns out not to be reliable. My Chevy Astro Van checked out in perfect order while connected to 2 separate diagnostic computers but failed to communicate with the ones authorized by the state to perform emissions inspections.

The court’s positions was that I would have to be responsible for making it comply or stop driving it. After almost one year of fighting this; when today, the judge said “case dismissed” I simply said thank you mamn and walked out.

What a wimp, I found a third test center and they were able to hook up and make the test, which proved that all along I had been correct, but I couldn’t bring myself to mention it at court today, so someone else will have to continue the fight.

KenHigg

Local time
jsanders said:
The new system, whereas on the surface it would appear to be superior, has several blatant flaws. The first is that it breaks US expostfacto laws.

That is kind of screwy... :confused: :mad: Besides, I wonder what else they could be recording and reporting...:mad:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
KenHigg said:
That is kind of screwy... :confused: :mad: Besides, I wonder what else they could be recording and reporting...:mad:

Well it is a van, and we take it camping.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:17
jsanders said:
Well it is a van, and we take it camping.
What If??
It had a GPS in it, they hooked it up and found you drove by a holdup the night before, where the robber/s escaped in a van. Could then then arrest you on suspicion?

My Chevy Astro Van checked out in perfect order while connected to 2 separate diagnostic computers but failed to communicate with the ones authorized by the state to perform emissions inspections.
And here in lies the problem, government puts some stupid law into effect as a knee jerk reaction, with limited funds, then expects the tax payer to foot the bill to keep their house in order. We see this time and time again. Remember the alar scare? Shoot, even Sarbanes and Oxley are costing the tax payers and arm and a leg just because Enron and Wolrdcom didn't have good accountants.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
FoFa said:
And here in lies the problem, government puts some stupid law into effect as a knee jerk reaction, with limited funds, then expects the tax payer to foot the bill to keep their house in order. We see this time and time again. Remember the alar scare? Shoot, even Sarbanes and Oxley are costing the tax payers and arm and a leg just because Enron and Wolrdcom didn't have good accountants.

It’s funny how people talk about Enron but forget to mention Anderson and Anderson.

R

Rich

FoFa said:
Remember the alar scare?
Would that be the same as the communist, terrorist, Martian, anthrax, Castro, Noriega scares?:confused:

R

Rich

jsanders said:
It’s funny how people talk about Enron but forget to mention Anderson and Anderson.
We never talk about any of them, the only surprising thing is that Americans were surprised at just how corrupt their companies are

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
FoFa said:
What If??
It had a GPS in it, they hooked it up and found you drove by a holdup the night before, where the robber/s escaped in a van. Could then then arrest you on suspicion? .

A few years ago we had a local sniper killing people while they were filling up their gas tanks. The government reported they were driving a white Astro Van exactly like mine.

We had police officers posted at the local schools. Well there are 80,000 white Astro Vans in the DC area, and you should have seen the suspicious looks I got when dropping off my daughter at school.

So yeah, I would expect to be questioned and would actually welcome it. I think we should all be required to have GPS locators in our vehicles.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
We never talk about any of them, the only surprising thing is that Americans were surprised at just how corrupt their companies are

And British corperation are certainly above all that.

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
<cough><cough> Farepack <cough><cough>

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
jsanders said:

You mean Arthur Andersen Accounting? It's funny, back when I worked for Amoco I knew some people that left the Accounting dept. there to go work for Andersen. I wonder if they jumped ship before it got really bad? :confused:

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Rich said:

Who says we were surprised? :confused:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
Do you think all UK companies are on the up and up? :confused:

Ask him which British Company had its way, when the British divided up the spoils from the Turks.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Ask him which British Company had its way, when the British divided up the spoils from the Turks.
A division of Haliburton?:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom