Solved Client database for foodbank charity (1 Viewer)

Johns444

Local time
Today, 09:37
Would anybody know if a suitable premade database is available? Or is this a custom job?
This is not something I could tackle with my limited knowledge.
We want to be able to select a client from a list, which can be updated easily. This will then complete certain fields on a form that are associated with that client, such as family size, name, current date, post code.
The form will depend on the family size, so there could be up to six different forms.
The form is basically a pick list for the foodbank, hence details/forms are dictated by family size.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:37
Sounds like a worthy cause. I am questioning one point to consider, and this is at least partly because I'm not intimately familiar with whatever is your business model. Does the form structure actually differ based on family size, or does its CONTENT differ based on size?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 04:37
I personally do not like templates. I find them bloated with features I do not need and a lot of times the individuals who made them have a style (Macros, Multi-valued fields, Look-up fields) that I do not like to use.

What you have described so far is not that hard to master and if you are willing to work at it, there are a lot of people here who will donate a large chunk of their free time to assist...

Johns444

Local time
I personally do not like templates. I find them bloated with features I do not need and a lot of times the individuals who made them have a style (Macros, Multi-valued fields, Look-up fields) that I do not like to use.

What you have described so far is not that hard to master and if you are willing to work at it, there are a lot of people here who will donate a large chunk of their free time to assist...
Thanks, I have had a few offers of help already.

LarryE

Local time
Today, 01:37
Are you going to track what each client family group receives from the foodbank and on what date?

Johns444

Local time
Sounds like a worthy cause. I am questioning one point to consider, and this is at least partly because I'm not intimately familiar with whatever is your business model. Does the form structure actually differ based on family size, or does its CONTENT differ based on size?
The form may have additional items/products or different quantities of a product dependant on family size. So basically the form content is based on family size, it also acts as a picking list. I have had a couple of offers of help already which I will follow up.

Johns444

Local time
Are you going to track what each client family group receives from the foodbank and on what date?
The form would actually be a picking list, so what the client receives does not need to be recorded as we wkeep the printed forms for our records.
I have had a couple of offers of help already which I will follow up.

Johns444

Local time
Thank you for the offers of help, I will follow these up shortly and come back with any questions.
What a great response, cheers.

Johns444

Local time
The form may have additional items/products or different quantities of a product dependant on family size. So basically the form content is based on family size, it also acts as a picking list. I have had a couple of offers of help already which I will follow up.
Just to clarify a little more.

As an example lets suppose we have MR. Smith is eligible for a foodbank parcel, and the database is already populated.
The idea is that we open the database and select his name. This in turn opens up a printable picking list/form. This form will automatically enter his name, sixe of family. (for example 2A 2T 1C)Two adults, one teen, two children. it will also open the appropriate form which is dependant on family size. (there are about 4 or 5 forms). It will also note on the form the clients post code and current date. There should be a space to enter volunteers initials and a blank column used as a tick box for when an item is picked. I can send an example if it helps.
So in the database we dont record the food given out its more or less for picking a client and printing the appropriate form.
If that makes sense...

There is no network, but would be nice if it could be used by different volunteers.
Dropbox?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I read that as 2 adults, 2 teens, 1 child?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Dropbox and it’s like is not a suitable vehicle for access. What equipment do you have?

suspect you only need one picking form - some simple code to configure it

can you post what your picking forms look like

LarryE

Local time
Today, 01:37
It sounds like what you have is:
  1. Client groups (families)
  2. That may receive foodbank stores on multiple dates
  3. That have family members consisting of Adults, Teens and Children. However, children turn into teens and teens turn into adults. Also the number of members of families change, so you would need the ability to delete and add new members of a client familty or at least indicate their status (active, moved, died etc.)
There would not be multiple forms based on family size. You would have:
  1. One table and related form that handles client names, postal codes, addresses, phone numbers and any other information related to an individual family unit. You choose what information to collect and keep.
  2. One table and related form that handles dates of distribution for each family group and volunteer initials for that day and client.
  3. One table and related form that handles family member information, whatever that may be (Adult, Teen, Child etc.), relationship (son, daughter, nephew) or status etc.
  4. Family size would be calculated based upon the count of active Adults, Teens and Children within each client family, so it would not be a data input issue. The total of active members would be indicated on the client form for each client.
  5. One table and related form that handles store items, or groups of items, that are picked and distributed on any date to any client family.
  6. A printable report (not a form) with what was distributed to each family on the current date (or any date you wish).
This is just my opinion based upon little knowledge of your operation and what your requirements might be.

Johns444

Local time
Dropbox and it’s like is not a suitable vehicle for access. What equipment do you have?

suspect you only need one picking form - some simple code to configure it

can you post what your picking forms look like
similar to attached, but list does change depending on family size

Attachments

• client 1a.png
    client 1a.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 111

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:37
Here is the problem with DROPBOX and anything of similar functionality. Access uses a protocol called SMB or Server Message Block. This is a Windows protocol that supports file sharing and printer sharing in a local-area network of hard-wired computers. DROPBOX and its ilk do not support SMB. The difference is basically that the DROPBOX-like apps are WHOLE-FILE sharing systems, but Windows SMB is a way to share part of a file. There are complex ways to share data via DROPBOX but not dynamically and not real-time.

For exactly the same reason - incompatible protocols, a web-based Access doesn't work either.

If this has to be shared over a network, you MIGHT be able to get some traction using RDP - Remote Desktop Protocol - which translates mouse & keyboard from your computer to a central RDP server where Access would run and which translates the screen from the server back to your computer. In other words, it doesn't transfer Access data per se; it transfers human/machine interactions. Be warned that there is much more to it than that, and probably requires money for the RDP server and an RDP-savvy system admin or other tech person. If it is to be shared, you will also need an Access license specifically designed for multi-user implementation.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:37
John,

Does the list change or the quantities or possibly both?

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Just to clarify a little more.

As an example lets suppose we have MR. Smith is eligible for a foodbank parcel, and the database is already populated.
The idea is that we open the database and select his name. This in turn opens up a printable picking list/form. This form will automatically enter his name, sixe of family. (for example 2A 2T 1C)Two adults, one teen, two children. it will also open the appropriate form which is dependant on family size. (there are about 4 or 5 forms). It will also note on the form the clients post code and current date. There should be a space to enter volunteers initials and a blank column used as a tick box for when an item is picked. I can send an example if it helps.
So in the database we dont record the food given out its more or less for picking a client and printing the appropriate form.
If that makes sense...

There is no network, but would be nice if it could be used by different volunteers.
Dropbox?
John

So if you pick a family size the pick list would list just items specific to that size?

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
John

The screenshot attached shows how you would allocate items for a specific Family, in this case 1 Adult.

Do you have a listing of allocations for each of the Family Sizes?

Attachments

• FamilyAllocation.JPG
    FamilyAllocation.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 77

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 16:37
and here is my picklist:
picklist.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom