Combo Box versus List Box? (1 Viewer)

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:42
This might be a silly question - I appologize in advance if it is. - let me know! :) I have searched a bit and found nothing quite along the same lines.

I have realized that I only use Combo boxes, avoiding List boxes entirely. I had some early difficulties with List Boxes that I can't recall now, yet a lot of my combo boxes are limited to list. Most posts I read on this forum seem to mention Combo rather than List boxes (I may have a bias here?).

It looks like a combo box that is limited to list is pretty much a list box. If this is right, is there ever any advantage to using a list box that I am missing out on?

From Access help:
List boxes: What they are and how they work
In many cases, it's quicker and easier to select a value from a list than to remember a value to type. A list of choices also helps to ensure that the value that's entered in a field is correct.

The list in a list box consists of rows of data. In a form, a list box can have one or more columns, which can appear with or without headings. If a multiple-column list box is bound, Microsoft Access stores the values from one of the columns. In a data access page, a list box has one column without a heading.

You can use an unbound list box to store a value that you can use with another control. For example, you could use an unbound list box to limit the values in another list box or in a custom dialog box. You could also use an unbound list box to find a record based on the value you select in the list box.

On a form, you can use a combo box instead of a list box; it takes up less room, and you can type new values in it, as well as select values from a list. Learn about combo boxes on forms.

On a data access page, you can use a drop-down list box instead of a list box; it takes up less room; however, you can't type new values in it. Learn about drop down list boxes on data access pages.

Combo boxes: What they are and how they work
In many cases, it's quicker and easier to select a value from a list than to remember a value to type. With a combo box, you can do either without using too much space on a form. A combo box is like a text box and a list box combined.

When you enter text or select a value in a combo box, if the combo box is bound, the entered or selected value is inserted into the field that the combo box is bound to.

The list in a combo box consists of rows of data. Rows can have one or more columns, which can appear with or without headings. If a multiple-column combo box is bound, Microsoft Access stores the values from one of the columns.

You can use an unbound combo box to store a value that you can use with another control. For example, you could use an unbound combo box to limit the values in another combo box or in a custom dialog box. You could also use an unbound combo box to find a record based on the value you select in the combo box.

Combo boxes have a LimitToList property that you can use to control whether any value can be entered in the list, or only text that matches one of the values in the list can be entered.

If you have room on your form and you want a list to appear at all times, or if you always want to limit data entries to values in the list, you might want to use a list box instead of a combo box. For more information on list boxes, click .

Is the last para from above:
If you have room on your form and you want a list to appear at all times, or if you always want to limit data entries to values in the list, you might want to use a list box instead of a combo box. For more information on list boxes, click
the only advantage?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:42
I typically use listboxes when I want to allow multiple selections. Otherwise, they take up more space than they're worth (IMHO). Another time might be when I want to display multiple columns. A combo will display multiple columns when dropped down but not after a selection has been made.

Last edited:

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:42
Thanks pbaldy.

I haven't needed either of those things yet which is probably why I haven't ended up using alist box. It seems like I'm not missing anything by avoidng the list box. :)

jkl0

jkl0
Local time
Today, 13:42
Another way to use a List box.
If you have a bound form you can put a list box on it and when choosing from the list box, you can go to that record on the form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom