Combo Jumps (1 Viewer)

Privateer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:25
I had a user ask me if repeated typing of the same letter can cause a combo box to move to the next one. It's tough to describe, so here is the example.

The combo box lists states by their two letter abbreviation. You hit c and it goes to CA, California. She wants to hit c again and have it jump to CO for Colorado, and c again to finally get to CT, Connecticut, where we live. However, after the second c is entered the combo has cc in it and no matching record. It's not a big deal, I just thought if someone had come across this before, there might be an easy answer.
Thanks
Privateer

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:25
it can be done, it will require some vba code on the combo change event and refer to the combo's text and selLength properties . Just going out so no time to provide anything more definite

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 13:25
Interesting. On reflection, this is what I often do with long lists without thinking and it apparently works (don't remember where though - web or desktop, and what app/site).

This is not what an Access combo does of its own volition, so it would need to be forced. I 'll give this a thought over the weekend - but don't hold your breath - no promises at all. Everybody else is of course welcome to have a go.

Privateer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:25
CJ_London,
Just so we're clear, this is not about trimming down the row source with a criteria string "like c*", the result being you trim the selection from fifty states down to three. This is about having "c" in the combo and it hits CA, then "cc" and it jumps to CO, and "ccc" and it jumps to CT. I too have seen this but not in Access, web pages I think. Let me know if you guys come up with anything. And thanks for the effort.
Privateer

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom