Compact & Repair causes repeated crashes (1 Viewer)

Insane_ai

Not Really an A.I.
Local time
Today, 12:39
I have a database designed in Access 2007 with extensive VBA coding. When I compact and Repair this databse, the database crashes repeatedly without fail until I recompile the VBA code.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Has anyone found a MS KB article dealing with this or a patch?

I have figured out the work around but I do not want to keep recompiling the code.

ezfriend

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:39
I had the same issue over and over, but so far doing what you are doing is the best solution. The other thing is that if the DB is on the network folder, the crash tend to happen. I copy a lot of DBs to my desktop and compact it quick. That seem to do the trick.

darbid

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:39
I am using Access 2003 - but recently had problems like yours. (not just your problem - many)

I eventually made a new MDB and imported all objects into that new MDB. This seemed to help me.

thatlemhome

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:39
I actually had the same issue last fall, multiple crashes and the compact and repair would completely wipe out my tables. Thankfully I had backups.

I was able to work with Micrsoft on the issue and came up with two possible solutions ....

I my case, I first imported all my tables, queries, etc. all elements over to a new clean database. Then of coarse you will need to relink everything. Kind of a pain. The idea here was a corrupt file in the compact and repair function itself. This did help a great deal.

The second piece is to check you indexes in the main table. What we found was that during the process of crashing, it was copying main table fields into the index. Once they got so big, it would lock up and crash. It's not something you would probably tend to look at, so there could be incorrect or multiple elements here too.

So once I got that cleaned up it has continued to work fine. This is a known issue for MS with the corrupt file occurring during the compact and repair application in 2007.

good luck

TBA

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:39
try using the / decompile switch, then compact and repair, this usually solves the problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom