Comparison of Access World Forums (AWF) VS Utter Access. (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:43
Just added the next month comparison of Access World Forums (AWF) VS Utter Access. Access World Forums showing a healthy and steady increase. Unfortunately Utter Access is still declining and is now getting around 10% of visits as compared to Access World Forums.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:43
that is why Most of their contributor are switching to this channel (ouch! thriller...)(did you sing it?)

neuroman9999

Local time
Today, 12:43
Just added the next month comparison of Access World Forums (AWF) VS Utter Access. Access World Forums showing a healthy and steady increase. Unfortunately Utter Access is still declining and is now getting around 10% of visits as compared to Access World Forums.

seriously!? I've gotten MANY good answers over there. @cheekybuddha specifically is of wonderful help. to me it's always seemed like the 2 sites have been equal in terms of content that is useful.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I think the new owner has good intent but poor execution, hampered by a programmer who I believe (from memory) obfuscated the code, making it harder to sort out. Consequently, the traffic has plummeted. But yes, the history of answers there is good.

@arnelgp Is this true, or is that a guestimate? I am interested to know the goings on.

neuroman9999

Local time
hampered by a programmer who I believe (from memory) obfuscated the code, making it harder to sort out.

I have NO CLUE why their pages are all white. it looks like heaven, but it hardly is.

• Haha
Reactions: Jon

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:43
i am an inactive member there.
whenever i pass by for a visit, i see same old thread when i query the "new post" section.
it's hard to tell if i am alone or another person is viewing coz there is no facility, unlike here
you can see "who is online and how many visitors".
my guess is visitors and contributors feel they are crawling in the dark, trying to touch
if anybody is around.
it feels like, "leave your message and comeback to see if anybody has answered".
unlike here, you can see (always there is at least a member online).
so they can be assured that when they drop a question, it will get answered
instantly.

mr.jon, just a scientific guestimate.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@arnelgp Thanks for your feedback. I have to say I like the facility here where it tells you who is looking at a thread, how many etc. Someone here requested this add-on for this site, since it was on the old vBulletin software. Was a good call.

Do you ever look at the bottom of threads to see who is viewing the thread at that time? Did you know that feature was there?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I think they have some serious issues with the site.
I was searching for something earlier, and UA came up as a search hit. I clicked the link and it simply took me to the home page, no sign of the thread the search engine had found.

What's worse I couldn't use their search to find it either, it didn't seem to work.

Shame as there is(was) a lot of useful stuff on there.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There have been complaints on their forum about the broken search function so you are not alone. There comes a point where the traffic is so low and the opportunity cost to fix something broken so high, that it gets left. It all depends on why you have the site.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So the next question is, we know our traffic is rising. BUT has our "search rank" risen concurrently? I know in a separate thread there was some talk of how other forums popped up first in web searches on Access topics.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The traffic is only slightly rising. I don't think much happens regarding our search rank for long periods. It is when Google decides to do an algo change that things can shift around signficantly. We get about half the traffic we got 2 years ago, sadly.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
in the old days when I googled something for research, I had hits on plenty of different sites. Now it seems all the hits are to perhaps half a dozen sites - all of them appearing the in the advertising section at the top as well as below. So if you don't have the means to pay google, you just won't be seen.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Our most prolific poster came from UA, among others. All probably still post there.
Yes indeed, although I think that might have been before the rapid decline in traffic?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 10:43
Since my past comments on UA have been less positive, I'll balance it out with this one.
I strongly agree with whoever stated that the quality of stuff on there has traditionally been very good. It seems less functional now, but I esteem it highly in terms of quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom