copy data from Microsoft Office Outlook (1 Viewer)

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:26
Is it possible to copy all your, contacts, sent & received emails etc to another email address on another exchange.

the reason why I'm asking is because I'm changing jobs & would like to copy all my stuff over to my new email account with the new employee

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 06:26
I'm not sure that would be strictly legal would it?

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
yes its do-able -
what you need to do is export the data to xls, or txt format and move it -as to the legal side of things ? well not too sure ...
did it at my last job (with there blessing on a whole wad of emails - burnt them on to a disc and imported them into a new outlook)
I have also import complete email address books b4 - so I know it can be done .

g

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:26
Be careful Pauldohert is correct the company you work for effectively owns all data created on their systems including e-mails. It essentially their intellectual property.

To avoid any potential legal trouble, as GaryPanic did, get permission in writing from them before you do anything.

Also from a security point of view your new employers should be very strict in allowing data from an essentially unknown source onto their network - (I know I wouldn't allow it) so you'd need to check with them also.

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
It's not exactly a new job, but the contract has ended & i'm going back to where I came from originally, same type of work, same people, same crap just a different location.

Thanks for the advice :)

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
yes its do-able -
what you need to do is export the data to xls, or txt format and move it -as to the legal side of things ? well not too sure ...
did it at my last job (with there blessing on a whole wad of emails - burnt them on to a disc and imported them into a new outlook)
I have also import complete email address books b4 - so I know it can be done .

g

What about attachments & things like that?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:26
What about attachments & things like that?

iirc attachments are stored on the server until you save them, if the company uses a typical mail server/ client setup. So you'd need to 'download' them as well.

Groundrush said:
It's not exactly a new job, but the contract has ended & i’m going back to where I came from originally

I'm essentially in the same boat but the same rules apply. I've done databases, designed (with expert help from the guys here ;) ) to be used at my current site which my company wanted to use at other sites and even though there was no 'site specific' data within the design we still had to jump through hoops to get approval.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
if its attachments as well put them in a personal folder then burn the folder onto disc ...
then open the disc and import the personal folder on to the local setting and then move it accross the network

as to virus .bugs etc
the company where i work - had sh*t hot virus checking -which was probably 10 time more than the company we went to - I knew the source was clean - and I did the process - if anyone else had any of the data i would not of allowed it -.

but as has been stated - b careful- who owns want is always a bit iffy -

i was lucky as i showed what and why and also it was pre-agreed what i took made sure that there was no come back on this.

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom