Corona status (1 Viewer)

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:26
Tera,
Do the top executives at your insurance companies make the enourmous multi-million dollar salaries that ours do? I would venture a guess that they are more conservative. Also do the insurance companies spend millions on advertising, lobbying, golf tournaments, etc? Are the prices of medical care as expensive as in the US?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:26
Well, I can't understand what you're trying to tell me.
Tera, your country is superior in many ways. You can act as ONE when the need demands it. Sometimes it seems the USA acts as 50.

Its just different. Our solutions could be individual to the states.

deletedT

Local time
Today, 09:26
Tera,
Do the top executives at your insurance companies make the enourmous multi-million dollar salaries that ours do? I would venture a guess that they are more conservative. Also do the insurance companies spend millions on advertising, lobbying, golf tournaments, etc? Are the prices of medical care as expensive as in the US?
There is no insurance companies here.
Insurance is run by government.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
This excellent video on the coronavirus from none other than New York's governor Andrew Cuomo. Informative, factual and no sensationalism... Well done mate!

Coronavirus: New York governor Andrew Cuomo gives update on outbreak

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
This excellent video on the coronavirus from none other than New York's governor Andrew Cuomo. Informative, factual and no sensationalism... Well done mate!

Coronavirus: New York governor Andrew Cuomo gives update on outbreak

He's been doing them for weeks. He's been outstanding.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
The only problem is a month or so he was completely against wearing masks and shutting down NYC. But hey he's allowed to make mistakes. :rolleyes:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
With CNN constantly promoting him with Chris Cuomo his brother, there won't be any shenanigans to worry about. They just need to find a way to dump Biden like they did Bernie.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
The only problem is a month or so he was completely against wearing masks and shutting down NYC. But hey he's allowed to make mistakes. :rolleyes:
He instituted the "Pause" Plan on 3/22. An actual plan. unlike most.

As an extra bonus he said at the announcement
Cuomo urged New Yorkers to not blame their local officials for the drastic measures and took full responsibility for any fall out.
"I accept full responsibility," Cuomo said. "I want to be able to tell New Yorkers that I did everything we could do."

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Insurance in the US is a complete mess due to states rights. EVERY state, all 50 of them have insurance commissioners and specific regulations. For example, when I sign up for insurance in Connecticut, my carrier has a "network" of providers they have negotiated prices with. If I cross a state line and need care in some other state, all the services are "out of network" and in some cases won't be covered. Voluntary treatments are definitely not covered. Also, many insurance companies operate in multiple states. They have to deal with the regulations of every state in which they operate. They need to be certified, their plans need to be approved, etc. Even their documents have to be approved by each state authority so their printed policy might have to be different for residents of Connecticut from that for residents of New York.

This is extremely inefficient and makes for huge overhead costs but the states won't give up and allow the rules to be standardized.

As to the ambulance services, sometimes local municipalities fund them out of the town budget along with Fire and Police. Some years ago one of my grandchildren was taken to the hospital in an ambulance and there was no charge so I was surprised when I saw what I was charged and when I checked, I found that the town had removed that coverage from the budget.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:26
But in VBA, variable promotion causes both units to be promoted to the next higher common format, "fruit salad."

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
In the USA, does the health insurance cover things like prescriptions, dental care, physiotherapists, opticians etc?

In the UK, we have to pay for prescriptions. They cost £9 per item. If you are over 65, they are free, like bus travel.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:26
Col,

In the USA if you have a business-based or employer-based health plan, it usually includes a set of secondary benefits such as prescriptions, dental, visual, psychiatric, health-club, etc. These are NOT uniform and usually involve your payment of a co-pay amount which can vary widely.

Once you reach retirement, Medicare has these "plan parts" that are designed to cover various broad-brush topics. Part A is hospital stays, part B is doctor visits/clinic visits, part D is prescriptions. The plans essentially provide a partial payment depending on the medicine, leaving the patient with a co-pay. You can get supplemental insurance that kicks in the difference for some plans. The supplements come from private insurance and will pick up costs that the government part of the plan will not. There is where the dental, vision, and other support can be variable.

For instance, two of my wife's drugs are $0 co-pay, others are usually less than $10. She gets one that costs $2.19 out-of-pocket per 90-day supply. I have liver issues and therefore have some drugs with much higher co-pay, though I am going to shop around if the current co-pay stays as high as it currently is. I can't make a plan change until later this year because we have limited enrollment periods. I haven't paid a co-pay for my primary care physician's visits in four years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom