Coronavirus - are we all doomed? (1 Viewer)

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 11:29
MajP, I am disappointed that you refer to my post this way, despite me trying to explain myself several times that that is not what I am doing.
Hey it is all good. We should just get over that the ChiComms unleashed this on the world. Covered it up and lied about it. A couple million people dying here and there who cares? As long as we are not politically incorrect all is good. So lets focus on what is important and just forget about Chinese Communist responsibility to the rest of the world. So let the ChiComms get a pass, and we will all feel better. So I am all aboard, lets just pat ourselves on the back and feel good that we do not blame anyone. I hope the Italians and Spaniards are as forgiving as you.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
... focusing on the "Chinese" label right now, is very distracting and damaging to the work that needs to be focused on right now. It may 'feel good' politically, but isn't the wisest choice right now.
It's worse than distracting. The US is and has been opening itself up for "retaliation".

The US is unfortunately a very litigious society were opportunistic lawyers are foaming at the mouth to sue somebody. That aggressive suing attitude is unfortunately creeping into us foreign policy. Besides finding a handle as a basis to sue China on COVID-19, it also spills over into other areas such as so-called intellectual property. So if the US goes after China by pursuing a blame game, China will eventually blame the US given the opportunity. What happens when a pandemic originates in the US or China invents something that was never invented in the US?

The US is unfortunately very arrogant with the assumption that the US can do no wrong. China may be nipping at our heals, but they also have a population that is nearly 4X the US population. They can also develop and invent stuff. Remember the saying: "What goes around comes around". The US must be careful concerning the implementation of policies that can be whimsically turned against us.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 08:29
I give up in explaining what I was trying to say, too many times. It's all good, MajP.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Where is the ACLU?

The ALCU was founded to protect civil rights in the US. Many small cases of civil disobedience are now surfacing calling for an end to the COVID-19 restrictions that suppress civil liberties. People are also being arrested for standing-up for their civil rights. As the news describes these protests and arrests, the ACLU seems absent from these stories, in terms of supporting those who want their civil liberties restored.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Perhaps I misinterpreted your intent so I removed it to give you the benefit of doubt. I was (mis)guided by some of your other posts and will just leave it at that.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Perhaps I misinterpreted your intent so I removed it to give you the benefit of doubt. I was (mis)guided by some of your other posts and will just leave it at that.
Maybe he felt the same, I was thinking he was possibly a military guy nothing to cryptic. Apologies to all.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
On a lighter note, for all of those who think Home Schooling, which is on the rise due to the pandemic, I have news for you:
Most of my generation of 60+ were actually HOME SCHOOLED before it was fashionable. If you're not in that group, these pearls of wisdom won't mean much to you.

1. My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE.
"If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning."

2. My mother taught me RELIGION.
"You better pray that will come out of the carpet."

3. My father taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!"

4. My father taught me LOGIC.
" Because I said so, that's why."

5. My mother taught me MORE LOGIC.
"If you fall out of that swing and break your neck, you're not going to the store with me."

6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT.
"Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident."

7. My father taught me IRONY.
"Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about."

8. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS.
"Shut your mouth and eat your supper."

9. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM.
"Just you look at that dirt on the back of your neck!"

10. My mother taught me about STAMINA.
"You'll sit there until all that spinach is gone."

11. My mother taught me about WEATHER.
"This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it."

12. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY.
"If I told you once, I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate!"

13. My father taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE.
"I brought you into this world, and I can take you out..."

14. My mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION .
"Stop acting like your father!"

15. My mother taught me about ENVY.
"There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do."

16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.
"Just wait until we get home."

17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING.
"You are going to get it from your father when you get home!"

18 . My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.
"If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to get stuck that way.

19. My mother taught me ESP.
"Put your sweater on; don't you think I know when you are cold?"

20. My father taught me HUMOR.
"When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me."

21. My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT.
"If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up."

22. My mother taught me GENETICS.
"You're just like your father."

23. My mother taught me about my ROOTS.
"Shut that door behind you. Do you think you were born in a barn?"

24. My mother taught me WISDOM.
"When you get to be my age, you'll understand.

25. My father taught me about JUSTICE.
"One day you'll have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you!”

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:29
Micron, there are no emojis strong enough to convey just how much that made me smile.

I thank you for those little slices of ancient wisdom.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As we know, I will frequently beat dead horses. Calling this the "Wuhan flu" is no different than the 1968 "Hong Kong flu" pandemic or the 1918 "Spanish flu" pandemic. Regardless of blame, it has been the practice of modern man to name something from its point of origin.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I gave the names that popped up when searching for recent pandemics.

I have insufficient knowledge or experience with syphilis to be able to attribute a name or location.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 16:29
Has the USA lifted all restrictions now? We see news clips on the TV of something happening in America and it all seems normal with many people on the streets, no social distancing , no masks. For example, that black man who died in police custody, as usual it sparked other blacks to riot and smash up cars etc. All quite normal. Yet they are not 6 to 8 feet apart. I'm guessing shops and bars and restaurants are all open normally, as it seems social distancing doesn't apply in the USA.
As far as I can see, all is perfectly normal for the USA. What is the USA's secret of getting the country back to normal so quickly?
Is it the mass use of injecting bleach or taking quinine tablets as the Orange Clown has suggested?
Col

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Has the USA lifted all restrictions now?
It is not a uniform national decision. It is up, in part, to the various state governments to undo the restrictions. In some cases, it is even the county governments and even mayors of cities to set or undo restrictions. Needless to say there is not one uniform answer to this question.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In New Orleans, mayor Cantrell has posted strict distancing rules for restaurants, stores, and certain other events and they have opened for dining in, browsing through the shelves, etc. Suburban New Orleans is opening as well, though there the guidelines are merely strong suggestions. Not all businesses are open yet, but the traffic on the main roads has picked up considerably from only a month ago.

I have not talked with my cousins in Alabama lately but I hear they were talking about opening up as well. And my brother-in-law from Mississippi has not called us lately. However, the news is generally good.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
California is in phase 2, some salons and other business are working at half capacity. California is not open for business despite rumors to the contrary.

Each state is like a country, they decide not Washington, DC.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Col, your post gave me both sadness and a big laugh - I needed that. I can see how you get that impression. You are correct in that many places are much more open than they were before, and "social distancing" seems to be left more or less up to the individual, although some weak attempts (like signs on the floor of where to stand) are in place to try to encourage it, but no - we aren't all placed in bubble donuts to enforce it. And as others have said, some states haven't barely reopened at all, others have mostly.

As for the orange clown, he's already moved on to trying to regulate social media, as some of them have finally started reacting to his ridiculousness with some amount of censorship and/or clarifications. I think the sad reality is that coronavirus continues steadily in many areas, but he needs something new to distract! I can't believe it took Twitter 4 years to stop kowtowing to him, but then again … as you already know, he gets away with alooot. Some times he seems like a 3 yr old in a big man's body. I think being told "no" will do wonders for his maturation - much like an insolent child.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
As for the orange clown, he's already moved on to trying to regulate social media, as some of them have finally started reacting to his ridiculousness with some amount of censorship and/or clarifications.
Is the President regulating social media or were they given a sweetheart deal by congress that should have never happened? Currently they are exempt from liability, General Electric and Ford Motor are not exempt so what's up with that?

Social Media were very concerned with the Russian hoax but sadly they are not so concerned with conservative views.

Just sayin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom