Coronavirus - are we all doomed? (2 Viewers)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:12
Like my father used to say 'sit down, and shut up unless you have something useful to say'.
Col
Except it takes an average of 18 months to make a decent guess at a vaccine. So we will be "'sit down, and shut up" for a while.

Edit: BTW a lot of people who express comments about staying home are retired, so it's easy for them to say stay home.

I just want out of my Chinese cage.

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 03:12
I was referring my fathers phrase to Orangeman. He never fails to come out with the most ludicrous and unhelpful comments.
Personally, I feel sorry for his widow-in-waiting Melanie or Mel something, I forget now.

Col

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:12
BTW a lot of people who express comments about staying home are retired, so it's easy for them to say stay home.
Agree. Which is why I haven't commented that way. I realize how lucky I am in this case, as are my siblings. Thankfully they all work in what are deemed "essential businesses" so have continued to work in one way or another (from home or in the normal fashion). It can be hard finding things to do that don't involve needing materials (which you may not be able to get) or that aren't limited by the crappy weather. I'm not going to complain though because I know that so many are suffering real hardship. Aged parents/grandparents are dying alone in long term care facilities. If that's not enough reason to be pi$$ed off at whomever could have prevented this then nothing is.

I was referring my fathers phrase to Orangeman.
Thanks for clarifying as I thought you meant me.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
We need "The Orangeman" to get our economy humming again. I don't believe wall street will rally behind Uncle Joe.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Because it is silly and with little to no precedent (yes no go ahead everyone and google some exceptions to this, but regardless)….to name a virus after a people. That distracts from the scientific treatment and approach to the virus. Imagine we start calling diseases the German disease. The American disease. The Italian flu. That would be silly and nobody does that. Except Trump, who already was in a war against China.
Surely you can see a coincidence here. (emphasis added)
I was referring my fathers phrase to Orangeman. He never fails to come out with the most ludicrous and unhelpful comments.
Personally, I feel sorry for his widow-in-waiting Melanie or Mel something, I forget now.(emphasis added)
@ColinEssex and @pisorsisaac@gmail.co are correct in a strict sense. "it doesn't matter where the virus came from..." and "... to name a virus after a people. That distracts from the scientific treatment and approach to the virus.". Nevertheless Biden actions are being ignored in terms of trying to outdo Trump as a macho chest thumping caveman who is playing the "racist" and "interventionist" cards. Biden's deplorable actions, should not be ignored. As a Presidential candidate Biden is setting a bad example.

This is a good opportunity for me to re-post: Biden ad exposes a rift over China on the left

Joe Biden’s effort to outflank President Donald Trump on China is leading to blowback from within his own political base.

Some worry the rhetoric in a new Biden campaign ad could spur anti-Asian bias already on the rise because of the coronavirus pandemic. Others argue that Biden’s effort to sound tougher on China than Trump could backfire diplomatically in the long run. (emphasis added)
“I would be on the phone with China and making it clear: ‘We are going to need to be in your country. You have to be open. You have to be clear. We have to know what’s going on,’” Biden says in the ad..

So if Trump is already at war with China and never fails to come out with the most ludicrous comments, Biden by trying to outdo Trump is even more warmongering and ludicrous than Trump. Biden is calling for an intervention into China, a sovereign country.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yes, Biden is certainly not who the other choice would be, if I was King of the World.. :|

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Thanks for clarifying as I thought you meant me.
Not at all, my apologies if it came across that way. In the 20 years I've been posting, I have never slagged of another member. Although, I think I may have upset one or two over the years.

AB, refers to Wall Street getting behind Uncle Joe, I thought it was Uncle Sam? :confused:
Col

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Trumps presidency amounts to a failed coup by the FBI and former administration bad actors. At the very least he deserves a do over for illegal activities committed by the former administration.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:12
Have you not heard of German Measles? Already done.

Add to that a reference to the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918. It was really the H1N1 flu but nobody called it that back then.

People have a tendency to "name" things anthropomorphically. So we name hurricanes, winter storms, tropical cyclones, etc. The name Katrina will always have a special meaning to a New Orleanian. We name diseases in various ways, too. Such as Spanish flu, German Measles, Chinese Flu, Swine flu, ... We talk about conditions related to activities, like Traveler's Trots or Tourist's Trots. You pick it, we have named it. Doesn't matter to us that we have a perfectly good name for it. Nobody likes the biological classifications anyway. So to all the "politically correct" folks... learn to live with reality.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Trumps presidency amounts to a failed coup by the FBI and former administration bad actors. At the very least he deserves a do over for illegal activities committed by the former administration.
The failed coup attempt by Democrats has been a significant "anchor" around the Trump administration. The most recent egregious action was the failed impeachment effort by the Democrats as the COVID-19 pandemic began to materialize.

deletedT

Local time
I think naming a scientific issue based on a tirade of vengeful feelings is silly,
What's wrong with seeking for revenge? Have you lost a brother because of this Chinese virus? Have you lost a sister? or a mother? or a relative?
Have your family suffered from this virus?
Have you lost your father because of this virus and they don't give you the body, nor you are allowed to say your goodbye?

Have you been obliged to stay at home for days and weeks and months? Or stand in a long line for buying a toilet paper roll? Or for some meat to feed your kids? Have you seen your wife trying to hide her tears and show she's strong enough to support her family?
Have your children been delayed of education and stay away from school? Has the company you worked for went bankrupted and you have to look for a new job, if any?
Have you ever thought about the impact of this Chinese virus on the economy and on human civilization for the coming decades?
Have you ever asked yourself what's the difference between hiding the data of a deadly virus and a world war?

What's wrong if I ask for a revenge? And how is it silly?

Last edited:

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Re post 1093 - Touché
Anyway, calling a spade a spade is hardly revenge. In this case it is calling something by the name it deserves.

deletedT

Local time
A restaurant in Japan did an experiment showing how fast a ‘virus’ spreads that setting.

I can't watch the clip neither from my PC nor from my phone. It goes blank when I play it.
So I don't know exactly what it is, but we had the same experiment on a train, on a bus and a shopping mall. Someone was played as infected and a blue light showed the virus and how it spread all over the place.

Last edited:

mdnuts

Registered User.
Local time
I was talking about this to my wife the other day. About 6 months ago, when the market came up enough we sold her Apartment.. She bought it before we met at the height of the bubble before the crash. We had been renting it out and at best lost about 250/month, when we didn't have a tenant we lost about 1200/month. We never recouped what we lost during normal renting times, these folks will never be made whole.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
They have videos of hotel rooms and bathrooms using black lights, literally human waste everywhere. Before COVID-19 everyone still rented those rooms and used those bathrooms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom