Deployment package for Access (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:34
Sorry, I missed that reference. Good to hear that you liked it also.
Hi Pat
You may have forgotten but it was me who introduced you to that program 2-3 years ago when you became disillusioned with SageKey (which is of course now defunct). We even had a TeamViewer session (or similar) on using it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:34
That's what happens when you get old o_O Thank you again :love:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
LOL. I've just made almost exactly the same reply in a thread at another forum. :D

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:34
I contacted SamLogic. They responded immediately. We will see how it goes.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
They have a lot of support articles as well and, in my experience listen to customer feedback.
Over the 6 years I've been using it they've added several features that I requested

chrislong2

Local time
Today, 02:34
Hi John,

It is VERY straightforward with SSE Setup to install both a frontend and backend to the same folder. That's literally the easiest scenario.

Did you read the 10-step Access Deployment Guide as mentioned above? Here is the relevant sentence from Step 2 of the guide relating to your situation of split databases (frontend and backend):

"If you are intending both to be installed/used locally on one machine OR you are wanting your program to be used in a multi-user/multi-machine scenario where the backend is on a network location separate from the frontend and you are intending to have your frontend take care of transferring the backend file if it doesn't yet exist to the correct network location, then you will create one install and continue on with this guide, making sure to add the backend database file to be installed to your program folder in step 6 below."

Literally all you have to do is add the Backend file to be installed on the Install Files page (described in Step 6 of the guide which also contains this sentence: "If your database is a split database and you are wanting to only have one install (see step 2), then you also will need to add your backend database file to install on this page."

I just don't know how it can be any easier.

You also state that the Access tutorial video assumes Access is installed, which is exactly opposite of reality - the whole point of the video is to show SSE Setup's Access-related capabilities and actually shows the detection where Access was missing and then shows SSE Setup downloading and installing the runtime.

Then you post a screenshot of an odd error that I'm struggling to see how you could have encountered.

For whatever criticisms could be levied towards SSE Setup (and even as the developer I acknowledge there can be some per the above), I (and most users I've ever heard from) consider SSE Setup to be a very straightforward and easy-to-use installer. But it seems like you are having issues for whatever reason with it, so I think I'm inclined to echo others in this thread in saying that perhaps you will find another installer product more to your liking.

In any event, considering that there is a very straightforward 20-minute tutorial video for Access projects, an easy-to-follow 10-step guide which SSE Setup itself prompts you to read when you start an Access project, and to me both of those together clearly address what you have said you are trying to do and even show it to you (with the exception of it showing you in the video you adding the 2nd install file for the BE), I feel like there's not much more help I can provide for you. So I agree with others that you might be better served trying a different product. I see you said you are looking into SamLogic's product - I wish you success with that. :)

Chris Long
SSE Setup

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:34
A comment only to see if chris gets an email indicating a new post in this thread. jdraw

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
After several months of looking for Access Deployment software... I am still looking. Over the past few weeks and taking the advantage of IslaDogs above, I have been in touch with SamLogic and the people there have been helpful, BUT I have been unsuccessful in creating a deployment exe that I can use to deploy my software. Let me reiterate, I have 4 files, a .accde, a .accdb, a .ico and the Access Runtime. Does anyone know of a software package that I can use these 4 files to create a deployment .exe?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Both Visual Installer and any other installer package should be able to create a. EXE file based on those 4 items. What problem(s) did you have when you tried to do this with VI? Willing to assist if I can be of help

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Apologies to both CJ_london and isladogs. I did not receive a notification for your responses. I just saw them.

As I mentioned the people at SamLogic were very responsive, but it has not been possible to 1) Create a shortcut and 2) Install the Runtime.

I suggested to the Samlogic people to log onto my pc and do the installation and I would immediately buy the product. We have already spent much more time discussing this and I have sent them videos etc,

The installation should not take a long time. If I had a prospective customer I would do it.

Regards,
John

Jason Lee Hayes

Local time
I use Advanced Installer 18 Enterprise... Supports MSIX. Not cheap but available to download & use free if you know where to look...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom