Deployment- Storing Application Settings (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:04
Since I was curious, I just did a quick test. I created a new FE and BE on my Desktop. I then moved them to a new folder on the same Desktop. When I opened the FE, I got the "Could not find file..." error message when I tried to open the linked table.
True ... but if (like @AngelSpeaks) you move the FE only, it will not normally break the links to the BE
Even so, it is safer to use a UNC path than a relative path

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:04
True ... but if (like @AngelSpeaks) you move the FE only, it will not normally break the links to the BE
Even so, it is safer to use a UNC path than a relative path
Oh, sorry, I misinterpreted @AngelSpeaks' earlier post.
So I did some more research, and on this forum, I found a post that stated that if both FE and BE were in the same folder, they don't have to be relinked (which I tested to be true).

Then I moved the FE to another folder and it also worked OK.
I guess I got caught up with the part in bold above and only concentrated on that.

Thanks for the clarification!

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Today, 03:04
Hmm, that could be misleading. You could be right, but I am not quite sure about it. I would think if the "file path" is the same (not just the folder name), then a relink is not necessary. Are you sure you're not using any auto-relink code? Just curious...
I don't know what auto relink code is.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:04
I found a post that stated that if both FE and BE were in the same folder,
You should probably put this "expert" on your ignore list.

In a production environment, the FE and BE will NEVER be in the same folder unless this is a single-user application running on a local hard drive.

The BE is always in a shared folder on some network drive and each user has his own personal copy of the FE located on his c drive.

I think someone mentioned using UNC. That is always safer than using a mapped drive.

I presume that you will be installing the app initially so you can do the linking of the master FE to the BE at the client site. Then distribute the FE using some automated method. If you don't have one, we can help with that. In theory, there is no need to relink once the app is installed at the client site. However, each time you replace the master FE with a new one, it will need to be relinked at the client site. I include a relinking form for this purpose but restrict its use to "admins". Or, you can remote in each time to do the relink if that works better for you.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:04
Hi Pat
Yes I mentioned using UNC earlier.
I agree with your comments but in fairness to whoever wrote the comment you quoted, one method of setting up the linked BE is to temporarily install the FE in the same folder on the network as the BE. The FE will look in that folder by default and the links can be setup correctly.
Having done that the FE is removed & copied onto individual users' workstations - the links should still work.

Having said all that, I don't use that method personally. Instead I normally use DSN-less connections with connection info stored in 2 local tables

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Today, 03:04
What is UNC? I was hoping to have a setup program that would handle everything. For now, one user. So i thought installing both in the same folder and either move the FE or copy the FE to another location. I am working on a procedure where the table names are stored in a table in the FE and query and loop through and run the link command ( what the command is, i need to lookup). I am certainly open to suggestions. Thanks

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:04
If is the name of the server with the path to the folder:

\\servername\AccessApplications\CommonBEs\

You have to type it in rather than choosing a drive and navigating to a folder. This method is preferred since it doesn't require all users to have a common mapping to the BE folder. In small shops, there aren't a lot of servers so everyone maps them to the same letter but not all environments are that clean. You don't want everyone to have to relink to the BE. You want the FE to point to the BE no matter what PC it is installed on and that won't be possible if I maps \\servername\AccessApplications\CommonBEs to the F drive and Sam maps it to the J drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom