Do you know of a questionnaire/survey Access template ? (1 Viewer)

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 13:53
I need to do a questionnaire, and would rather not reinvent the wheel, but mod an existing one. I've looked in some of the usual hideouts, but no luck.

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:53
I've Attached a Beach Survey I created for our field staff. Should give you at least some ideas.

Attachments

• BeachSurvey.mdb
    516 KB · Views: 7,943

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Thanks for that - I can borrow som ideas (and perhaps mechanics) from it.

Unfortunately I have more questions than you, and some variable groups of questions will not be applicable in certain cases, so I think something along a multiple choice would be more suitable in some areas.

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
If you look at how some of the fields link to other tables, you can set up multiple choice questions the same way. alternativly you can use check boxes if there can be multiple answers to a question.
It will take some level of customization because your questions will likely be unique to your survey.

Another way is to create a "MASTER LOOKUP"
and have a unique ID, and 2 other fields, 1 with a "class" of question and one field with the text value of the answer.
Then filter your drop downs by the class. Each field would hold the unique value.
Hope that makes sense, if you need an example i can probably provide a quick one.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Thanks for your kind offer, but I have no problem with coding anything, I just don't want to code, if I can get away with begging/stumbling my way into something suitable. And I doubt that I am the only one with the need for a questionnaire, so that's why I asked here. :D

PaulWilson

Registered User.
Local time
I've Attached a Beach Survey I created for our field staff. Should give you at least some ideas.

That database works fine! But I noticed numerous table-level lookups (which I myself tend to use). I've read in this forum that we should shy away from such a table-level lookup design. I wonder what's the best way to do that?

PaulWilson

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
What's the best way to shy away from table-level lookups? Don't use them. Or what do you mean?

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Create combo boxes inside the form, not in the table.

edit- there is a combo box wizard in form design that makes it pretty easy.

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
I personally don't always like the combo box approach, in my instance, when the database was being designed, the coordinator of the survey had yet to make a decision on the wording to be used so the table was the best option.
If you have a very large survey, to me a table would be a better method because when the combo box values are used, they are stored as the entire text string, where as in a table approach they can store the string once and just a number for the records, which in a very large data set could affect the size. (IMHO)

PaulWilson

Registered User.
Local time
So I guess the best practice on the lookup is to place it in the form, but use a query linked to the table which contains the lookup values. That way you can sort the lookup values to make it more user friendly. If it's a saved query (rather than one that's coded into the control directly) then the dreaded AutoCorrect can fix the table/query/field names if you decide to change them.

SaviorSix

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:53
These are really almost the only kind of databases I work with. Over the last 3 years, with a great amount of help from this forum actually (couldn't have done it without the posters here) I've designed a survey database application I give to researchers for them to enter data for their studies. I can help with your design -

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Thanks for the offer, but I have already built the monster :D

Jasons2001

Local time
I am looking for a database to let researchers use access to design thier own surveys on the fly without any access knowledge. Similar to other online survey software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom