Elon Musk - Tesla - FSD (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:38
FSD = Full Self Driving

I saw this article and had a flash of inspiration, what is FSD?

Tesla has gone its own way in creating software that can drive a car. Instead of using lidar Tesla are now just using cameras plus software to interpret the images.

It's not a straightforward interpretation of the image, the software creates a vector space out of the images. Anything in the space is labelled with a trajectory and it's trajectory can be predicted. A bit like what humans do.

So Tesla are creating full self-driving using cameras against the grain of industry experts, who prefer Lidar.

But again it's Elons genius! I immediately realised when reading the above link where scientists are developing methods of detecting drones, that with very little adaption the Tesla software could be be used in many different situations.

It could be used in security around military bases and eventually around people's homes!

And as I mentioned before, this software running in a big heavy computer system developed for driving a 2 tonne vehicle, will eventually be condensed down to a dedicated chip which will fit nicely into a robot, as already indicated by Elon Musk.

I was amazed at what Google were originally doing with a self-driving car and I've blogged about it in 2013 here is the link:-

I predicted that the Google software for driving a the car would be further developed to go into a robot, my prediction sound but I got the company that would do it wrong!

Elon Elon, Elon, Elon ... I'm Definitely an Elon Fan!!!!

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
military bases
Another thought, Lida is an "active detection" system. It transmits radiation (laser) towards objects. It is similar to radar in that it would be easy for the enemy to identify the source and destroy it. Vision through cameras is passive this would make it very difficult for the enemy to detect.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Copy of Standalone post

This YouTube demonstrates FSD Beta learning the ropes!

Well worth a look!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom