Error Message On Opening Database (1 Viewer)

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 13:35
I have two databases

Database 1.
All forms, tables etc contained within the database. i.e. a single mdb file

Database 2
Exactly as Database 1 except that tables are contained within a separate back end

The forms etc in Database 1 were imported from Database 2
The tables in Database 1 were imported from the back end used by Database 2

Start routine is precisely the same in both databases.

In summary the only difference is that Database 1 has included tables so that I am able to test changes without risking data changes to the primary application Database 2

The problem
When I open database 2 I receive the following error message

Cannot find the file 'G:\Len Boorman\NPI V3\LJB_NPI_V3_User_Interface_Linked_Tables.mdb' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

I do not receive the message when opening database 1

I am using WYSE thin client that goes to a Citrix server.
Database 1 and front end Database 2 reside in the same folder
The repository database resides in a different folder but on the same server.

Table links are fully specified i.e. \\data\auto_public\New product Introduction\etc.

The G:\Len Boorman in full spec would be \\data\auto_public\Len Boorman..

Since we use thin clients main applications are also served. Sometimes we get Access 2000 and sometimes 2003. All databases developed in 2000 so I expect no difficulties running 2000 in 2003 environment.

The databases above are used by myself only but there is an additional User interface that is actually used by the company. This uses the same linked tables as described above and the User Interface resides in a folder as the data repository. This interface generates the same error message.

Bit of along explanation but tried to give a full picture.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to why the error message is generated and how to resolve. It definately appears associated with the linked table situation.

Thanks

Len

I have a suspicion that the problem is network based.

Husan

Registered User.
Local time
is there some value in the startup operation looking for that path, ie an autoexec macro or load event on the startup form?

try opening it with the shift key pressed to bypass any auto startup procedures.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
as a start

with the linked tables, can you open a linked table directly?

do a quick check to see what the connection really is

currentdb.tabledefs("linkedtable"),connect

this should show you the path it is really using/trying to use

Len Boorman

Local time
Thanks for the hints and tips

I have now created a database that purely has the linked tables defined as previous

That opens fine

Therefore must be in startup process which I thought and checked were identical. There is obviously something different somewhere

Thanks

Len

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
if you are dynamically linking the tables, perhaps the issue is the space in the folder name "len boorman"

or maybe the entire pathname exceeds 50 chars (or whatever string you have), or something like that.

Len Boorman

Local time
if you are dynamically linking the tables, perhaps the issue is the space in the folder name "len boorman"

or maybe the entire pathname exceeds 50 chars (or whatever string you have), or something like that.

Got to dig a bit more but since a linked tables only database opens without a problem there must be something within the Autoexec macro or the forms opened by the Autoexec generating the problem.

Surprising how logic thought works better when the problem is discussed.

Wood and Trees comes to the fore as well

Cheers

L

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom